Finger Pricking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duane Charles

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
I’m aware of not using the thumb or fore-finger as sites to draw samples. I have been mainly using my middle finger on my right hand (I’m a lefty) but was wondering whereabouts is the best place to draw the blood from when pricking. I’m sure everyone is different and I’d like to think it’s more than just trial and error (learning).

I had a strategy for alternating fingers and using both hands (despite being a righty).
Before pricking, I warm my hands. This may be with a cup of tea or a hand warmer. I also adjust the prick depth to the minimum necessary to draw blood to avoid bruising.
I would use my left hand on odd dates (1st, 3rd, 5th, … day of every month) and right hand for even dates. Despite being a “righty”, I quickly became ambidextrous with finger pricking.
My first prick of the day is my little finger which I used until my lunchtime prick when I moved to my ring finger. At evening meal, I used my next finger and then my fore finger at bed time. I think the concern about not pricking the fore finger is the very negative consideration to reserve it for reading braille when we go blind. I would rather keep a closer eye on my blood sugars so this is not a concern and, by rotating my fingers, I maintain good feeling anyway.
I avoid pricking the centre of the pad because it bleeds for too long once I start so I use the side of the pad.

I have never taken any notice of which finger, or even which hand that I prick. I assume that I have universal blood throughout my body so it will make no difference where I bleed from. I try not to overthink things.
JMO

I had a strategy for alternating fingers and using both hands (despite being a righty).
Before pricking, I warm my hands. This may be with a cup of tea or a hand warmer. I also adjust the prick depth to the minimum necessary to draw blood to avoid bruising.
I would use my left hand on odd dates (1st, 3rd, 5th, … day of every month) and right hand for even dates. Despite being a “righty”, I quickly became ambidextrous with finger pricking.
My first prick of the day is my little finger which I used until my lunchtime prick when I moved to my ring finger. At evening meal, I used my next finger and then my fore finger at bed time. I think the concern about not pricking the fore finger is the very negative consideration to reserve it for reading braille when we go blind. I would rather keep a closer eye on my blood sugars so this is not a concern and, by rotating my fingers, I maintain good feeling anyway.
I avoid pricking the centre of the pad because it bleeds for too long once I start so I use the side of the pad.
Thank you @helli I have only used fore and middle on the right so far and have been using various parts of the pad

I have never taken any notice of which finger, or even which hand that I prick. I assume that I have universal blood throughout my body so it will make no difference where I bleed from. I try not to overthink things.
JMO
@PaulG I’m new to finger pricking on a regular basis and agree our blood is universal. My question was based upon not always getting a similar amount of blood each time I prick and that could “possibly” cause fluctuations?

JMO
The suggestion to use different fingers is not because the results would be different but in order to protect one or two fingers from getting “over pricked”. Before I was lucky enough to get a CGM, I was pricking ten or more times a day so needed to spread the load.

JMO
I was diagnosed over 23 years ago. In those days even T2s were given a meter - no advice what to do with the readings that might benefit me, just write fairly randomly timed readings in a booklet so Nurse could do the sharp intake of breath when you presented the booklet at your Reviews.

I was told to avoid thumbs and index fingers " so that they retain sensitivity for if you go blind and need to learn Braille".

• Wow
Reactions: Tdm
I tend to use my ring finger and little finger of my left hand (I am a righty) Usually because they are the cleanest, particularly when I am up at the stables with no washing facilities, but also the skin is softest on those fingers so bleeds easiest. My hands are pretty rough with hard dry skin due to eczema and working outdoors. I was checking a lot (up to 16 times a day at one stage) before I got Libre and never had a problems with soreness on just those 2 fingers although occasionally I will use the same fingers on the other hand. I mostly prick the side of the pad.

JMO

I'm not sure that blood is homogenous but I absolutely agree that it's a good idea not to overthink things especially when what you get is good enough to work with despite its limitations.

@PaulG I’m new to finger pricking on a regular basis and agree our blood is universal. My question was based upon not always getting a similar amount of blood each time I prick and that could “possibly” cause fluctuations?
My pricking tool ( ACCU-CHEK FastClix ) has 10 settings. With it set on 8 I prick, then squeeze my finger till a small blob of blood appears. I probably tend, without thinking about it, to squeeze the same size blob, so same amount anyway.
The ACCU-CHEK Instant strip will only adsorb a set amount of blood, so again. no fluctuations.
HTH. Paul G

I use little fingers on the side coz they said so on here. :D

I have much trouble getting any blood out at all. 🙄

My pricking tool ( ACCU-CHEK FastClix ) has 10 settings. With it set on 8 I prick, then squeeze my finger till a small blob of blood appears. I probably tend, without thinking about it, to squeeze the same size blob, so same amount anyway.
The ACCU-CHEK Instant strip will only adsorb a set amount of blood, so again. no fluctuations.
HTH. Paul G
@PaulG Do you also use an Accu-Chek monitor too?

I have been using lancets that I bought through Amazon a while back when I was trained by St John Ambulance to do BG. I have now been and ordered a FastClix and lancets, thank you I will use these once they arrive as I have found the lancets I do use don’t always seem to fire properly or even at all.

I'm very much like @helli, with a left/right for odd/even days and I use all 4 fingers. Before I had CGM I often took in excess of 10 fps daily and would use my thumb plus both sides of each finger.

I also use the left/right and odd/even days for my rotation of insulin sites; I'm MDI.

When my hands are cold I really struggle to get a single drop of blood,

I confess I just hold the lancet (which I use multiple times) in my hand and just give a quick stab, usually on the middle finger of my left hand. I put my thumb on the pad and prick just to the side and slight pressure with the thumb will produce a small drop needed for the strip which I touch onto the drop, having inserted it into my monitor. Too much blood is just as problematic as too little, the strip should suck up by capillary action what is needed.

@PaulG Do you also use an Accu-Chek monitor too?

I have been using lancets that I bought through Amazon a while back when I was trained by St John Ambulance to do BG. I have now been and ordered a FastClix and lancets, thank you I will use these once they arrive as I have found the lancets I do use don’t always seem to fire properly or even at all.
This is the gear, as supplied by my GP.
Paul G

Attachments

• IMG_1433.jpg
    IMG_1433.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 9
I’m aware of not using the thumb or fore-finger as sites to draw samples. I have been mainly using my middle finger on my right hand (I’m a lefty) but was wondering whereabouts is the best place to draw the blood from when pricking. I’m sure everyone is different and I’d like to think it’s more than just trial and error (learning).
All you need to know about finger prick testing:-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back