Finger prick, when to test after meals?

pjgtech

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Peeps, question for the hive mind...
I know that to test to see what foods may or may not spike BG, we need to test before eating and then again after eating, and the usual advice is to test approx 2 hours after eating.
But, bearing in a mind a meal can take 5 min to an hour or so, should we test
2 hours from when we START eating?
or
2 hours from when we FINISH eating?
Many thanx

2 hours from just before the first bite, which is why it's called pre-prandial.

Just a guess, 2 hrs after you've finished

Ok interesting, thank you, so if we were to be eating a long meal, say a Greek Meza, which could drag on for well over an hour, with its many small courses, we should still test 2 hrs after starting?
Thinking about it, if you had a desert or cheese board, coffee, etc, you could still be in the restaurant after two hours!
Yes, I know I'm taking it to an extreme, but genuinely interested.....

Ok interesting, thank you, so if we were to be eating a long meal, say a Greek Meza, which could drag on for well over an hour, with its many small courses, we should still test 2 hrs after starting?
Thinking about it, if you had a desert or cheese board, coffee, etc, you could still be in the restaurant after two hours!
To be honest, unless you felt unwell I wouldn't bother.

If we're eating out I see that as a day off from testing. I'd likely have no idea of how many carbs I'd had anyway, and the last thing I'd want to stick in my pocket going out would be my testing kit. I'm always where I normally am on waking the next day.

If it’s a special extended meal or a buffet spread over a long time, then I’d just test as needed (because I’m Type 1). If you don’t need to test but are doing it for information, I’d just ignore that meal as it’s not a usual one.

Thank you folks, makes sense to treat a meal out as a treat and not a normal day, cheers

Back