Finger blood glucose monitors advise on the best ones please

Jan1956

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Can any of the members please advise on a glucose monitoring system please? I’m type 2 and newly diagnosed, Hbc1a @ 57 currently trying to manage to reduce blood sugar via diet and exercise.
I’m looking for a finger prick model that doesn’t need a control measure as they sound more fiddly. I’m also looking to see if any of the finger print models can be Bluetoothed to my phone so I can store the recordings. Which ones are the best and easy to use?

I’m also taking advantage of a Libre continuous glucose monitor trial sample offer so I can compare the differences initially but can’t imagine I can continue to afford a libre long term. Many thanks for your help

It’s a very personal decision really @Jan1956

Some have more bells-and-whistles (eg a bluetooth connectivity to logging app on your smartphone). Others are more simple and straightforward.

Some of the very cheapest versions can be a bit flaky and unreliable results-wise, or may have more failed checks / dipuff strips than others.

Probably the most affordable and reliable meters members here have found are the SD Gluco Navii, the Spirit Tee2, or the Contour Blue - which all have test strips at around £10 for 50. Some other brands can be 3x that much!

The Contour Plus Blue will Bluetooth to your phone. I get my strips from Chemist4U, £8.49 for 50 currently.

I use the Contour Blue - it has a nice app with bluetooth and the readings get added to Apple health and then distributed to apps like mySugr automatically. The contour meters always come high for accuracy, and they also allow a 'second go' if the first one fails.

If you want bells and whistles, I'd recommend it. Even if you don't I'd still recommend it.

I have the Contour Blue+ and have never had a problem with it. Very simple to use - never used the bluetooth function because I enter my results in an app called 'Glucose' and just copy it in.

I'm lucky that my testing strips are still on prescription but I don't think they are massively expensive.

Back