Finding the positives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigeon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hiya, I found out I had diabetes on Easter Monday 3 years ago... so although it's not the calendar anniversary of it this weekend, I always get reminded of it. Which got me round to thinking (as I eat my Maya Gold egg)... rather than dwelling on the bad things, what are the positive things since your diagnosis? Mine are:

• Finding out why I'd been feeling so rubbish and had lost a stone
  • No longer being obsessed with when I could next get a drink of water
  • Eating healthier
  • Getting less upset about small things that don't matter
  • Trying to challenge perceptions of people about diabetes
  • Taking up running and completing the Great North Run twice

Anyone else got any ideas? I'm not trying to be a PollyAnna, just reflecting that it's not all been as bad as I thought it would be when I was sobbing as I hid my easter eggs away at the back of a cupboard, thinking "I'll never eat chocolate again..."

So positive, brilliant. Made me think similar of things - and yeah having just attended a close young colleagues funeral on Friday (Cancer) you are so right that there are worse things. Thank you and enjoy the rest of Easter.

when i was younger, the positive was being able to eat chocolate before PE.

now the positives are having a better understanding of my body, having the chance to be able to educate people (only if they want educating, mind...), having a greater understanding/empathy for people who are living with other serious medical conditions. it is also the inspiration for me wanting to train as a nurse.

Brilliant post Pigeon - firstly happy 3 years and well done on finding the positives.

For me, whilst I currently see many negatives, I have to say there aremany positives too.

- knowing how the body works
- the ability to keep learning about this condition
- being able to educate people through the medium of my blog

there are more I'm sure 🙂

I have been thinking of the positives for a while

• I'm better educated
    I eat healthier
    We have this forum
    I know why I was always thirsty
    I no longer itch in personal places
    I no longer feel guilty for seeing the doctor
    free medicine
    free eye tetsts
    There are others worse off than me, although I don't want any one to be ill
    I'm better at problem solving
    It's OK to not want sweets that I don't actually need

• There are loads of things, but they are the main ones at present.🙂

Really nice post pigeon x

so many positives for me to list lol all i know is since getting diagnosed they far outweigh the negatives.

Cheers guys, it's nice to hear so many positives for different people. Shiv, that's great that it's inspired you to train as a nurse.

I thought of another one, I got more adventurous with food and trying different recipes. I never ate peanut butter before I got diabetes, I didn't know what I'd been missing!

well done on all your positive feelings. im looking forward to saying i have loads in a few months down the line 🙂

ps. i take it peanut butter sandwhiches are ok to have? i love peanut butter x

I think mine are:

Knowing why i was so tired and falling asleep all the time (especially whilst on my laptop!)
Eating healthier
Being more active
FREE PRESCRIPTIONS 😉
Having alot more energy now

Well, I took up peanut butter because I used to love Nutella, so it's better than that! I buy the sugar free crunchy one. It is high in fat, but I think peanuts are "good fat" i.e. mono-unsaturates, and it'll lower the GI of the bread too... so ok in moderation I think.

Well, I took up peanut butter because I used to love Nutella, so it's better than that! I buy the sugar free crunchy one. It is high in fat, but I think peanuts are "good fat" i.e. mono-unsaturates, and it'll lower the GI of the bread too... so ok in moderation I think.

It's my snack of choice if my levels are a little on the low side before bed!🙂

my diabetic nurse said chocolate (even milk) was low gi

doesnt really touch my bm levels so if i fancy some chocolate its fine I know nuttella is low gi so shouldnt it be fine on toast?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back