Finding it hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitfuzzybunny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello I hope all is well with everyone

I'm finding it hard buying diet foods when I'm struggling to get food for the family. I have type 2 and not on medication just on diet control. Have got another blood test in June to check levels. But this cost of living is hitting people hard and I can't afford diet foods.

Why not just buy normal foods instead of special diet foods.

A kilo of frozen veg is under £1, yes the cost of living is going up but not all healthy foods cost a fortune

Hello I hope all is well with everyone

I'm finding it hard buying diet foods when I'm struggling to get food for the family. I have type 2 and not on medication just on diet control. Have got another blood test in June to check levels. But this cost of living is hitting people hard and I can't afford diet foods.
You don't need to be buying special diet foods just normal foods which you can base meals on, meat, fish, eggs, cheese, vegetables and salads. Keeping control over portion size will mean meals will go further.
This link has loads of recipes for low carb meals including a budget menu plan, it uses real foods so no need to buy anything special. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Batch cooking and freezing portions mean you have home made ready meals rather than buying or takeaways.

Avoid diet foods and just eat normal food @Fitfuzzybunny All those keto/low carb/protein things are overpriced and you don’t need them. Choose normal foods that fit with your needs, eg plenty of green veg and salad, meat and fish, eggs, berries, Greek yoghurt, etc. You can usually adapt family meals so they work for you.

You shouldn't need diet foods. I've found that things like a Bolognese, Chilli Con Carne, Tuna Pasta Bake, Roast Dinner, Chicken Chasseur, Cottage or Shepherds Pie, Hunter's Chicken, Chicken Parmigiana, Salmon Steak, to name but a few, are all OK for me as long as I swap the rice, pasta and potatoes for riced cauliflower, red lentil pasta (half-portion), celeriac chips and cauli/celeriac mash. I also love a salad with chicken or fish. In other words I'm eating the same meals as before my diagnosis and mostly the same as the rest of the family, and none of the dishes I've mentioned gives me a post-prandial reading outside of the recommended range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back