Finaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

caroleann

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I finaly saw DN this morning,the first thing she asked me was are you insulin or tablets she was looking at my notes on the computer as she said this,well in the end i had my feet checked then blood preasure and weight ,so far not too bad the only thing that was confusing me was oh we will do this and that because its near the new tax year or something.
Finaly my turn to ask the questions,i asked about an education course like youguys have mentioned on here, answer,yes there is one but i dont know if they still do it,ok fine we'll forget that one then lets try something easier, my bg numbers i told her what they had been upto,she didnt seem the slightestbit concerned,she saidi only needed to test about twice aweek hence the look on her face when i told her i had no test strips left,personaly i think i have done quite well only having fifty a month its only down to those fifty strips and you guys that i can sit hre and say yes im starting to get control of this thing.
Anyhow by this stage i thought whats the point and then the best bit comes bg meters are expensive and you wont need one later not quite sure where she was going with that one but never mind,but guess what she went and gave me a new meter, a freestyle freedom light,i've always bought my own meters so that was nice.
For those that are confused with my post you may want see my original post (Help needed lots of it).
Thanks for being here.
carole

I finaly saw DN this morning,the first thing she asked me was are you insulin or tablets she was looking at my notes on the computer as she said this,well in the end i had my feet checked then blood preasure and weight ,so far not too bad the only thing that was confusing me was oh we will do this and that because its near the new tax year or something.
Finaly my turn to ask the questions,i asked about an education course like youguys have mentioned on here, answer,yes there is one but i dont know if they still do it,ok fine we'll forget that one then lets try something easier, my bg numbers i told her what they had been upto,she didnt seem the slightestbit concerned,she saidi only needed to test about twice aweek hence the look on her face when i told her i had no test strips left,personaly i think i have done quite well only having fifty a month its only down to those fifty strips and you guys that i can sit hre and say yes im starting to get control of this thing.
Anyhow by this stage i thought whats the point and then the best bit comes bg meters are expensive and you wont need one later not quite sure where she was going with that one but never mind,but guess what she went and gave me a new meter, a freestyle freedom light,i've always bought my own meters so that was nice.
For those that are confused with my post you may want see my original post (Help needed lots of it).
Thanks for being here.
carole

She said you only need to test twice a week?! :O
I don't know much about type 2 diabetes, my nana had it and she was told she didn't need to test at all! and they didn't give her a meter so my mum told her to go back to the Docs and ask for one, which they did. Its strange how in different areas people get told different things! I think its appalling if people are being restricted on things like test strips! if the patient feels the need to test frequently, at the end of the day it should be their choice!!

No offence to anyone if they do only test twice or never, by the way

Gosh twice a week why is it the DN's choice how ofen you test grr like soph says it should be your choice your the one with the diabetes 24/7 .

Hi Carloeann,
was she actually a Diabetic Nurse or just the Practice Nurse at your Doc's surgery ?

Hi Peter
she is a diabetic nurse,well thats what they tell me at the surgery.
carole

Hi Peter
she is a diabetic nurse,well thats what they tell me at the surgery.
carole

Hi caroleann
I found out that what I thought was my diabetic nurse turns out to be chief practice nurse in charge of all chronic illnesses in the surgery. It does make you wonder .......:(

I find the DN's at the surgery are not as good as the dedicated DSNs at the hospital clinics.. because I am on insulin I am seen at the hospital diabetic unit whereas diabetics on diet, exercise and/or tablets are looked after by the GP and DN..

When I was first diagnosed i wasn't told not to test but that I didn't need to do it 4 times a day (on diet and exercise), and to test at a different time maybe once or twice a day just to see what my levels were doing.

when i saw Richard Lane last night, he said one of the big campaigns DUK are going to be doing this year is to combat the postcode lottery and ensure that everyone is getting the same service, wherever they are from. hopefully problems like being told to test twice a week will be got rid of at some point.

Same here, and though she's really nice, she's no expert when it comes to diabetes.

I'd quite like to be able to test twice a week, i'm not supposed to test at all...

hi there

I am type 2 i was diagnoised in oct 09 and i have seen the dn twice both times in october, have not seen them since, cos everytime i see them they tell me absolutly nothing. I learn more from you guys than i do the DN.

Was told i do not need a meter or to test, but got myself a free meter from the internet (A breeze 2) we are a low income family, so money is tight, i am entitled to free prescriptions, but my surgery refuses to give me strips or lancets ( i buy them myself) i have written numerous letters to the surgery explain why i test and still no joy.

I have lost all confidence in my DN, and the surgery.

angie

Hi Carloeann,
was she actually a Diabetic Nurse or just the Practice Nurse at your Doc's surgery ?

Found out my my diabetic nurse is just practice nurse who deals with things like asthma diabetes etc. i saw her again this morning for my asthma and she did my hba1c and then she gave me my pneumonia jab.
carole

I was told to test once a week - but I came back a couple of weeks later with all my strips gone and a graph of what happened after I ate/exercised etc. Doc was pretty pleased that I had taken trouble to try and understand what was going one - he just said that one a weke fortnight was good enough but only when I was happy that I had a good grasp of it.

It seems odd that as a Type 2 on diet control I get given a meter and seemingly unlimited strips and a lot of you others dont.

I was given a meter and test strips only after I persevered (sp?) but was told 50 test strips were to last me 6 months!!! I found out by accident that they are on my repeat prescription and I am allowed 1 box of 50 a month but as I only ordered my first box last week we will see how long that lasts. I find it utterly disgraceful about the way some are treated 😡. If you want to test to see how your levels are doing and are willing to work with the results you should be allowed to!

same here caz im on 50 strips a month always have been but with the recent hypers i was going through more then usual then last week i had to borrow some from the pharmacy grr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back