Finaly getting somewhere with my dizzyness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuvart

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well I'm t2 bgs mostly stable and latest hba1c of 48 so thats the good news unfortunately I suffer from repeated dizzyness and imbalance a lot. Today I actually saw a doc face to face about it (which wasn't a&e) so bad news I've got peripheral neuropathy in hands and feet (had my first 'tickle' test) its bad in my feet which is causing the imbalances and I've just got to live with it, and the goodish news is im finally being referred to a neurologist to investigate my dizzyness (though it could be months before I get an appointment).
Now heres a question is there any good way to deal with the loss of balance due to the pathy as I'm on my feet at work all day?

I keep getting popups advertising socks which help with diabetic neuropathy which may be worth considering once you have checked out their claims. Balance issues are often due to a problem with the inner ear.
What sort of job do you do, would different shoes help or have a stick to use when you feel unsteady.

I keep getting popups advertising socks which help with diabetic neuropathy which may be worth considering once you have checked out their claims. Balance issues are often due to a problem with the inner ear.
What sort of job do you do, would different shoes help or have a stick to use when you feel unsteady.
I work making double glazing frames and astragal barring/glazing them unfortunately its steel toecaps only (health and safety) unfortunately a stick isn't an option. I'll have a look at those socks and see whats what.
Yeah as you say normally balance is inner ear but there's 3 parts to our balance ear/eye and legs and as I suffer from vertigo the ear is not so reliable so eyes and legs compensate and now the feet are getting dodgy im 2/3 systems down, oh well I muddle on. Cheers for the advice.

I had to have time off work just prior to the first lockdown due to dizzyness - it was causing me to lose my balance when I stood and was very unpleasant. I was given an MRI (something I never want to go through again as it caused a massive panic attack - I had no idea I was claustrophobic!). It wasn't labyrinthitis, which I what I first suspected and I managed to see a neurologist. He said there was nothing on the scans and discussed postural hypotension that was potentially caused by stress and overwork. He advised drinking plenty of water and explained how to stand up gradually to stop the dizzyness caused by the hypotension. He did say that an virus/ infection can often cause permanent damage to the inner ear and whenever we are ill it can cause further dizzyness, but there is not much that can be done.

I think lockdown helped as although I was still working there were more opportunities to focus upon my physical and mental health. Not had any dizzyness since.

I hope you find some answers!

That’s interesting @Stuvart.
I’ve also just had an MRI because of imbalance and dizziness. Haven’t had the results yet. I saw a GP last April after suffering for a few months. It is awful, luckily I’m retired so don’t have work to consider. After the usual tests, checked for ear infection, had me walking about with my eyes closed etc. I was referred to ENT, and had a hearing test. This showed I had hearing loss in my right ear, also after I explained about the whooshing, ringing, noises in my ears and sensitivity to certain noises. Diagonosed with tinnitus. They then asked if I had any joint problems, I do, hips, shoulders and pelvis. If the MRI is fine, they were looking for a tumour, they may refer me to the musculoskeletal team as the balance issues and dizziness could be caused by my posture. Of course I’m hoping that is the cause, and it’s not a benign tumour and the hearing loss and tinnitus is just old age, and a coincidence!
Sorry I can’t help with your problem, I was offered some anti nausea sort of tablets to help with the dizziness but he did say they could make me drowsy, so I declined. I don’t suppose they’d be any good for you either. I hope they get to the bottom of it, for both of us, as it’s quite debilitating. Good luck.

Hi @Stuvart .... my only thought for you is to be prepared to be patient. Diagnosing neurological problems is an understandably slow process for those with them unless you are one of the unfortunate few where it is due to something nasty. Those seem to be the only things can be found easily and dealt with. Its the other things where the tests only give indications that cause the neurologists problems.

I've been going through it for the thick end of 10 years and still no diagnosis. In practical terms it finishes up a bit like dealing with diabetes, you have to own it and then work out strategies and workarounds that suit you. If it gets worse, then progression is likely to be slow and that gives you the time to make adaptations at a pace that is easy to cope with.

And @Eggy .... tinnitus is a real nuisance, only those with it know what it is like. As far as I can make out, if it is neurological then you are stuck with it. What I (and someone else I know with it) find is that it is very difficult to discriminate between two sources of sound. The "cocktail party" effect where you can tune out extraneous noise to focus on a single source has almost completely disappeared. I have got to hate muzac. Almost impossible to hold any sort of conversation with somebody with muzac going on. Do you find that?

Thanks for all the answers and support, I hope it gets sorted or at least eases off this last year or so for me has bin a total pita! An hit and run (me the victim) then high sugars (near dka on diagnosis) then diabetes diagnosis now neuropathy.
Before all that i hadn't had a sick day or even seen a doc in decades (so long that my surgery even dumped me off there books which was a shock when I finally needed them).
This forum has been a saver of my sanity thank you all.

Hi @Stuvart .... my only thought for you is to be prepared to be patient. Diagnosing neurological problems is an understandably slow process for those with them unless you are one of the unfortunate few where it is due to something nasty. Those seem to be the only things can be found easily and dealt with. Its the other things where the tests only give indications that cause the neurologists problems.

I've been going through it for the thick end of 10 years and still no diagnosis. In practical terms it finishes up a bit like dealing with diabetes, you have to own it and then work out strategies and workarounds that suit you. If it gets worse, then progression is likely to be slow and that gives you the time to make adaptations at a pace that is easy to cope with.

And @Eggy .... tinnitus is a real nuisance, only those with it know what it is like. As far as I can make out, if it is neurological then you are stuck with it. What I (and someone else I know with it) find is that it is very difficult to discriminate between two sources of sound. The "cocktail party" effect where you can tune out extraneous noise to focus on a single source has almost completely disappeared. I have got to hate muzac. Almost impossible to hold any sort of conversation with somebody with muzac going on. Do you find that?
Although I haven’t been out much in the last two years, when I have I have really struggled to follow conversations. Very frustrating. But certain sounds in isolation drive me mad too. I think their concern was it seems to have come on suddenly as has the hearing loss. Had the MRI last Sunday. Hoping no news is good news. Luckily the dizziness isn’t too bad at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back