Finally, a result from the hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well, following a 3 hour appt, where I was proded and poked, at length, the consultant decided on - insulin!!! All he really said was that my pancreas was failing to do it's job properly.

1 injection in the morning, and Slow release metformin at night. I have to go back to the hospital on Friday for an insulin training course. Don't know yet what kind/name of insulin.

And finally got a definitve answer to the marks on my legs, which I had always been told were diabetic lesions, the consultant said it is a form of exima (?) as a result of lack of exercise and reduced blood flow.

I assume I will still be called a T2?

Anyway, I said I wold report back

Cheers, Hazel

Cheers Hazel, good to hear that there's progress! As I understand it, Type 2 is generally insulin resistance rather than lack of insulin, but after a time the pancreas suffers as it attempts to put out more and more insulin, so you reach the point where you have to supplement this with injections. You'll still be Type 2.

Injections are a doddle - you'll be fine!:)

Hi Hazel

Good luck with starting on insulin. The real choice is between bimodal (2 injections per day, each with 2 peaks of action) or basal bolus (1 or 2 long acting injections, plus 1 injection for each meal - generally more flexible, and as needles (on pen devices) are so fine & almost painless, many people find extra injections are worth it). There are lots of types of insulin in either regime. Anyway, that should be covered during your insulin training course.

And good luck with upping your activity levels - you'll probably feel better and keener to be more active with the insulin and also as spring is coming.

I think the word you were looking for is "eczema" (exima) which must be one of the most difficult words to spell in the English language.

Hi Hazel,
Think positive now. Look to the future and not back at the long and frustrating time you've had with your medical team.

Once you get started on the insulin I defo recommend you do a bit of phy activity. As you know I have just started on Byetta and now Ive got the hang of it and I can see my sugars come down already, it is spurring me on to watch what I eat and start my daily 1-2 mile walks. Im a big girl but have always been keen on keeping fit (despite what ignorant people think when they see my curves).

Come on girl, you can do it. Chin up and lets get on top of this bloody illness together.

Your mum and my dad will be watching over us willing us on!

Debbs x

Thanks for the update Hazel.

Hope all goes well and the treatment works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back