1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Fill the form with a non-UK driver license (from Spain)

Discussion in 'Driving/DVLA' started by AaronR, May 22, 2019.

1. AaronR

AaronR Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    Hi everyone.

I'm trying to inform DVLA (I was diagnosed with type 1 a month ago) and I have been searching for ages if I can use this form with my European license with no luck.

Has anyone do this? Must I get first my UK license? I would like to avoid losing my Spanish license if possible.

Thanks!

2. trophywench

trophywench Well-Known Member

Type 1
    You can't renew a UK licence anywhere except the UK, so why do you imagine you can renew a Spanish one here? Or is that not what you are attempting to do?

3. Gwen Diabetes UK

Gwen Diabetes UK Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. What form do you mean Aaron? It may help to speak to the DVLA directly if you're insure about if you need a British license. Their general queries number is 0300 790 6801 and if you'd like to speak to their medical line for any queries about driving in the UK with diabetes that number is 0300 790 6806.

Do let us know if you have any more questions!

4. AaronR

AaronR Member

Type 1
    thank you both for the answers

honestly, I'm a bit confused. I was told I have to tell DVLA about my diabetes. Apparently I have to fill the form DIAB1, but as you said I don't have a UK license, mine is European.What does it mean? I cannot find information about it, can I drive?

I think you are right Gwen, I have to call them.

5. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Are you resident here, or are you here as a visitor? If a visitor, I think you can drive with your Spanish driving licence provided you comply with whatever the law is in Spain about driving licences and diabetes, and comply with the UK law regarding testing etc. If you are classed as resident here, then I think you are supposed to swap your Spanish driving licence for a UK one, the Gov UK website seems to classify 'resident' as having a permanent address here, which you have mainly lived in for 185 days.
    https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence
    Good luck sorting it out, the DVLA aren’t renowned for their ability to answer a straight question with the correct answer.

6. AaronR

AaronR Member

Type 1
    Resident, I have been here for more than 3 years

In theory no... I have my car insurance with my Spanish license with no problems at all. I don't have to swap it (at least for now, it will probably change with the Brexit).

These kind of things are really complicated and the info they provide is not clear. Yeah I will need some luck...

Thanks for your answer :) I think I'm going to swap my license for a UK one, but it is a shame, they force you to send your license so I will lose my Spanish one, and it will take around 6 weeks at least...

7. mikeyB

mikeyB Well-Known Member

Type 1
    The simple answer is switch your licence to a GB one as soon as possible if you intend to stay here, because if you don’t you may well have to go through another driving test, like many other citizens of non-EU countries. That is one of the unintended consequences of Brexit that will catch a lot of people out. Then you tell the DVLA you’ve been diagnosed diabetic since you received your first licence.

The actual switch is very simple if you look at the DVLA site. You just send them your licence ( and some money, no doubt, but not a lot, plus a new photo) and they send you shiny new one. That bit is easy, then you download DIAB1, or if you tell them you’ve been diagnosed they will send that anyway.

As I said, do it as soon as possible before the DVLA realise that Brexit is happening. There’ll be chaos. Get in there first.

Northerner likes this.
  8. AaronR

AaronR Member

Type 1
    Thanks Mike.

Finally I called them and after a long call (they didn't know what to tell me) they told to send my passport + license to get a new UK license AND to send the DIAB1 also at the same time (and the money, of course, 42 I think).

Let's hope this will work.