Fighting in Syria sends health care underground, putting residents at risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In Syria, opposition forces that captured 21 UN troops near the Golan Heights said today that they would release them, but only after President Bashar al Assad?s military stopped airstrikes and left the area. According to Reuters, an official with the rebel group Martyrs of Yarmouk, made the statement following the capture of the 21 Filipino troops near the village of Jamla yesterday. The UN has condemned the capture and called for their immediate release. As fighting continues throughout Syria, medical staff with Doctors Without Borders said the lack of adequate health services makes the situation ?catastrophic? for residents. Medical staff are being targeted and in some instances killed. Christopher Stokes, general director for Doctors without Borders in Belgium, said in a teleconference with reporters today that many of the sites that used to provide health services have been attacked and looted both by government forces and opposition groups. As a result, healthcare has had to go underground.

http://fsrn.org/audio/fighting-syria-sends-health-care-underground-putting-residents-risk/11684

I shan't complain next time Boots can't fill my prescription properly and I have to wait a day... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back