Fifty Years Or Over Diabetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
There are a few long term diabetics here so I thought i would have a shout for them. I imagine the vast majority are Type I but a friend's mother was diagnosed Type II 45 years ago when she suffered a heart attack. She has never been overweight all her life.

So I will start the ball rolling with 60 years. I was diagnosed in the school holidays just before starting grammar school.

I was 22. Felt crap for months and kept thinking I ought to go to the docs for ages but they only stayed open till 5.30pm when I'd usually only just be on the train home from work - so meant I'd have to leave early. Just a PITA. Eventually went in the August (with raging thirst, eating tons of Caramac and heart palpitations but hey, it's not 'all bad', cos I've lost weight!) just before the 1972 summer Olympics in Munich, athletics started so I was p'd off not being able to watch em on telly cos I was in hospital, when I'd booked a fortnights holiday from work especially to make sure I could stay glued to the telly and not miss anything AND I'd made sure we got a colour telly at home specially so I could.

There are a few long term diabetics here so I thought i would have a shout for them. I imagine the vast majority are Type I but a friend's mother was diagnosed Type II 45 years ago when she suffered a heart attack. She has never been overweight all her life.

So I will start the ball rolling with 60 years. I was diagnosed in the school holidays just before starting grammar school.
Mikey, how old are you because your profile shows you as just 57??

Other than that, I obviously don't qualify to post on this thread having a mere 5 years under my belt.

I was diagnosed on Friday 13th January 1967, 2 weeks before my 9th birthday. No health issues for me, other than cancer diagnosis and treatment 18 months ago.

Diagnosed 1965 aged 4 1/2

Being a gentleman II would not as k a lady her age and in these days of equality men should expect the same. How are you enjoying being an OAP?
It's not a lot different thanks and of course I need to be a bit older still nowadays to qualify as an OAP, at least in respect of the state anyway, since the P stands for pension. I think the only difference is that now it's not just my diabetes which qualified me for free prescriptions. 🙄

I don’t post much on here now but I was diagnosed 53 years ago when I was only 2. So far I’ve only found one other person who was diagnosed at the same age or younger than me. I have complications but a wonderfully supportive partner. Six weeks ago I started funded the sensors for a closed loop pump and most of the time now I’m feeling what I guess it must be like to feel normal diabetes wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back