Not open for further replies.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
If you are a user of a Medtronic MM640G or MM670G you should have been alerted in November last year to a potential safety issue if the 'pump retainer ring' is damaged or broken.

More recently my social media timeline has been awash with this news because the FDA in America has issued a Class I recall of certain models of Medtronic pumps.

But we need to be aware that the term 'recall' is being used slightly differently to how I think of it in the UK. My understanding is that this only affects Medtronic MM6xx pumps where the little plastic thing is loose, split or entirely missing.

It IS a serious issue, and in the US over 2,000 injuries and one death have been linked to this fault, but I do not think ALL UK Medtronic users need to panic and immediately stop using their pumps.

If your pump is broken, or you are a Medtronic MM6xx user and unsure how this affects you, contact Medtronic's helpline for more information: 01923 205 167.

MM_pumpring.jpg

Last edited:
I received the notice and wasn't best pleased to receive it.
My personal opinion is that as the pump is made of cheap shoddy plastic then the pump needs a redesign or at the very least replaced.

I’ve been using this chassis for 8 years and have never had this, or the ‘battery compartment crack’ issue that some experience (overtightening the battery cap??) - and mine always get a few knocks along the way!

But the 6 series does have a bit of a reputation for cracking I think.

I didn’t get this notification which I’m surprised about but thankfully mine is new and ok.

it is concerning though

I am on my second 640g now and have had no problem with the lock ring , perhaps some users do not treat the pump with care.

I would like to know how 2000 injuries and a death can result from this fault, as it it is patently obvious that the fault is present. Unless, of course, in the US it may be gunshot damage. I Would have thought it could only occur as a result of misuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back