Fibre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Recently I've found that upping my fibre intake has a pretty big impact on BG levels. In particular, fibre at 20% of total carbs at each meal seems to keep my BG profile across the day looking much more "non-diabetic" then previously: waking in the range 4.6 - 5.5, post-prandial say 6 - 8.5, daily avg 5.5 - 6.5.

As a little experiment over the last week I've looked at my standard breakfast, with & without the addition of 2 tsp [EDIT: Oops! "2 tablespoons"] of chia seeds (great fibre, also protein, easy on the innards, no particular taste & avail from grocery store 30m from home).

Standard b'fast: 2 thin slices grilled ham, 1 pce wholewheat toast+smear of butter, small fruit/melon bowl, extra large full-fat flat white. (Not ideal but hard to give up! The rest of the day is usually plants/unprocessed, plus maybe some fish or chicken - I'm a sinner in the morning & grow towards the light as the day progresses, waking next day in a state of nutritional grace 🙂

Without chia: Total carbs ~52g, fibre ~2g, net carbs ~50g, fibre 4%. Post-prandial BG: +4 to +5.

With chia: Total carbs ~64g, fibre ~13g, net carbs ~51g, fibre 20%. Post-prandial BG: +2 to +2.5.

Over a day I'm eating ~30g fibre, the generally recommended level, and ~150g total carbs - so 20% fibre.

In many ways this is obviously consistent with the common recommendation for a low GI/GL approach, but for me it's much more useful, practically.

When you look into the published GI scores for various foods, they're very often based on a small number of test subjects without metabolic syndrome & with a wide variation in outcomes. Scores at different times and places for the same food can be very different. And you usually don't eat individual foods; you eat meals, and how things interact and combine is usually not very clear.

Fibre as proportion of total carbs works way better, for me.

Last edited:
Very interesting! I haven't experimented quite as much as this but I have noticed that I can cheat a bit with carbs as long as I have a lot of fibrous veg with them. For example, a small serving of lasagne on its own raises my BG more than the same serving eaten with a huge salad.... I've assumed the bulky salad slowed the digestion down....

Low GI definitely works for me.

I really can't understand all this "all carbs are the same" as my meter shows they certainly aren't.

Even with some insulin resistance, and loss of insulin production, it stands to reason if you have a high GI food, which releases a massive amount of glucose quickly, you will see a spike, which will overwhelm your insulin response. It'll digest quickly, and leave you hungry again sooner.
A low GI food will digest slowly, release glucose slowly, and insulin response can keep up. And you don't feel hungry for a lot longer.
At least that's what my meter and stomach told me.
So making any food digest slower by adding fibre seems to have the same effect, which makes sense.

Low GI definitely works for me.

I really can't understand all this "all carbs are the same" as my meter shows they certainly aren't.

Even with some insulin resistance, and loss of insulin production, it stands to reason if you have a high GI food, which releases a massive amount of glucose quickly, you will see a spike, which will overwhelm your insulin response. It'll digest quickly, and leave you hungry again sooner.
A low GI food will digest slowly, release glucose slowly, and insulin response can keep up. And you don't feel hungry for a lot longer.
At least that's what my meter and stomach told me.
So making any food digest slower by adding fibre seems to have the same effect, which makes sense.

I'm sure that the digestion thing has a lot to do with it but trawling thru the studies I can find I think there might be some other stuff going on as well, with the gut biome.

Whatever, it seems to be working pretty well, and it's really easy to implement - eg just dump some chia seeds in coffee or tea with the meal as a "buffer". Have to keep an eye on the cals & not overdo the fibre too quickly, but it means a lot less restrictive eating. And on the other hand, I found one of the results of eating-to-the-meter was fibre going way below the recommended levels as I cut back on bread etc, and this is an easy way of correcting things (which is why I started doing it in the first place).

I suppose there's a consistency with the low-fat vegan approach's recommendation for 50g+ fibre. On that diet I imagine total carbs would be high and my 20%+ "buffer" would probably need that kind of fibre level.

EDIT: Chia now grown in Essex ... https://www.theguardian.com/environ...t-uk-grown-chia-seeds-to-go-on-sale-this-week

Last edited:
That's interesting, thanks Eddy 🙂

R eats inulin with his breakfast, because he's found that improving his digestion helps him to sleep better. I've been wondering about trying it myself, it's virtually carb-less if you're just having a teaspoon, and both my digestion and my sleep could do with improvement!

The fibre strategy continues on track, since I started focusing on it from late August:

upload_2018-9-23_9-19-15.png

What's especially pleasing for me is the consistency with what I think are the best dietary guidelines. Distilled:

- Keep a reasonable balance of macronutrients.
- Prefer minimally-processed & plant-based.
- Don't go overboard on protein (anyway easy enough if mainly plant-based).
- Keep fibre at 30g+ for men (25g+ for women)
- Eat a variety of foods & the micronutrients should take care of themselves.

The studies I can find looking at fibre & diabetes tend to be weak & ambiguous & none of them correspond exactly with this strategy. Given the complexity of T2D I doubt it would work for everybody at all times. But it works for me, at the moment.

I wonder what it would have looked like if I'd started doing it earlier?

EDIT: A small recent study finding some gut microbe explanations for why fibre might be good for T2D, FWIW: https://www.the-scientist.com/the-n...robes-lowering-blood-sugar-in-diabetics-29977

And a more detailed look, including sceptical questions from a group which has identified other fibre-related mechanisms for reducing T2D risk: http://www.gihealthfoundation.org/r...cle=20180314Scie1022974897&cat=Scie&dstate=GI

As I understand it, the first group thinks that soluble fibre is the ticket, whereas the second think it's insoluble fibre.

Given the genetic etc complexity of T2D, maybe it's one thing for some people, another for others.

Last edited:
Certainly agree with with your last point, Eddy. I can’t tolerate a high insoluble fibre diet because of the Ulcerative Colitis, but soluble fibre is fine.

And that is why some T2s can tolerate porridge just fine, and some can’t. The ones who can’t are probably the ones who would benefit by increasing the insoluble fibre. Genes and biome interacting - we have to find how our own biomes react, because it takes a long time to change them. At least without faecal transplants.:confused:

At least without faecal transplants.

I'm not exactly sure what's involved with a "faecal transplant", but I'd like to avoid it if poss. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back