Fibre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone explain is fibre good or bad for diabetics/me? I know you get it from all bran and stuff like that i have some crackers that are high in fibre but what else can i have thats high in fibre?

Thanks

Hi Steffie.

Fruit and veg are a good source of fibre. As well as bran based food as you say.

Beans and pulses also. Struggling to think of any more while eating my soup.:D

Rob

Dietry Fibre (used to be known as roughage) is good for us as it gives the gut something to work on. It is found in things whole meal and whole grain and in loads of other things including fruit and vege.

If you do a google search for dietry fibre you should come up with loads of things.

While eating fibre, you also need to remeber to aldo drink plenty of fluid too.

Thank you robster and caroline, i feel foolish that i forgot about fruit and veg DOH!

Steffie

Bear in mind too that while sometimes fibre can help to slow down absorption of carbs in a food, it is not always that straightforward, and that some carby things while high in dietary fibre (which is a good thing) will hit your BGs in no time.

Weetabix is a good example of this... quite high in fibre, but spikes me to high heaven (it's in the 'High' GI category alongside white bread and cake🙂).

As always, your meter is your friend.

M

Steffie

Bear in mind too that while sometimes fibre can help to slow down absorption of carbs in a food, it is not always that straightforward, and that some carby things while high in dietary fibre (which is a good thing) will hit your BGs in no time.

Weetabix is a good example of this... quite high in fibre, but spikes me to high heaven (it's in the 'High' GI category alongside white bread and cake🙂).

M

Thank you every,pleased i asked about this as i was'nt fully aware of this.

Steffie

M

Presumably ditto with porage?

Andy

Can't say about porridge from personal experience (as I've not eaten it for years and wasn't in the habit of post-meal testing then).

In theory the soluble fibre in oats should make this not so bad in GI/GL terms I would have thought. However the GI figures are just an average of an effect on bgs of blah many people, so while useful as a guide they still won't tell you how you will be affected personally. The only real answer is to give things a proper go for a week/boxful etc and run tests to see over a number of days.

As a lucky insulin poking T1 I'm currently on no-added sugar muesli (Dorset Cereals Simply Nutty) which, along with a little morning exercise is leaving me pretty spike free. This suggests porridge (also oat based, but without any dried fruit) might be OK for me, but I do know it plays complete havoc with others' BGs, especially where morning insulin resistance is part of the equation...

Not easy is it. In some ways I preferred it when I believed anything 'brown' would be fine :'(

My low GL book basically says eat as much porridge as u like because it's so low GL - unfortunately for me it makes me spike.

My low GL book basically says eat as much porridge as u like because it's so low GL - unfortunately for me it makes me spike.

Actually... now I'm thinking about it, this could be due to having milk with my porridg. one day (when i'm feeling masochistic) I'll do a test and try plain porridge, see if I spike.

Fibre is an important component of a healthy diet, not just for diabetics. It helps the bowel to pass food by making stools (sorry) soft and prevents constipation, can also help lower cholesterol levels and is believed to prevent conditions of the bowel too. There are two types of fibre, soluble and insoluble, and if you want to know the difference try googling them both, but yes fibre is very important and is recommended in a diabetic diet. Toby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back