Fiasp Insulin

CoventryTrev

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Hi everyone.

Are any of you having problems obtaining the Fiasp insulin from your chemist?
My chemist is saying they are having problems due to manufacturer issues.
I have enough for about three weeks but I'm not keen on swapping to something else because Fiasp works well for me.

See https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about-u...extouch-shortages-mean-people-living-diabetes

(It's not (or was not reported as) a shortage of the insulin. The problem is the disposable pens and the obvious solution is to use a reusable pen and cartridges. I'm not sure why GP surgeries couldn't automatically catch people who're getting these disposable pens and contact them, since the problem has been known for a while and isn't expected to finish any time soon.)

Hopefully, the problem is, as Bruce mentioned, just with the pens.
To be honest, the reusable pens are far superior so I would get in touch with your DSN, request reusable pens. Yes, Pens, plural. Whilst they are far more robust that the single use ones, they can still fail so you need a backup.
Once the you the new pens, you can request a change of prescription to the cartridges.

That's not great news - I might get a new order in sharpish then (pardon the sharp pun!) as Fiasp is great for me and I only have 2 months worth left in the fridge! I'm using the pen refils too

My GP automatically picked up on the flex touch pen issues and switched me to the reusable pen and cartridge, well done them, no sign of any cartridge shortage yet but I have a box of disposable as backup, for as long as they stay in date.

The cartridges are the back up to my pump vails I think I only have 2 of the pen fills, I won’t reorder yet but I didn’t want another box for when we go aboard in August.
Hopefully it resolves soon for you.
It’s much better for me personally compared to other insulin’s so I understand your concerns.

Now that the online prescription service is working again in the NHS App I have ordered a box of penfill cartridges - will let you know how I get on when my GP sees it on Monday...

I have been using the reusable pen and cartridge for about 6 months. It's the cartridge I'm being told is now an issue getting.

Oh no!! When I saw your thread title I thought it was going to be the flexpen availability (I think the same pens are used for Ozempic).

Perhaps this is connected, because pretty much all fiasp users are now going to be moving onto cartridges, rather than it being a split between reusable and disposable pen users?

Lets see what the Chemist says....
Screenshot_20240723_004840_NHS App.jpg

My chemist has advised me it's because GP's are moving a lot of people over to the reusable pen and the supplier can't keep up with demand and that it could be up to two weeks before they can get my insulin.

Back