Fiasp Flextouch query

PimmyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

Can anyone advise on difficulties they have recently experienced in trying to get Fiasp Flextouch pre-filled insulin pens?

This has been reported for some months.
The advice is get the much better reusable pens and cartridges.
The reusable NovoPen Echo are more robust, produce far less waste, have a “reminder” on the end about your last dose and the cartridges take up far less space in your fridge and luggage when travelling.
Unless you have serious dexterity issues, I do not know why the single use pens are prescribed.
I recommend getting your GP to prescribe the pens. Yes, I do mean that in plural because they can fail so you need a spare, just in case.

This has been reported for some months.
The advice is get the much better reusable pens and cartridges.
The reusable NovoPen Echo are more robust, produce far less waste, have a “reminder” on the end about your last dose and the cartridges take up far less space in your fridge and luggage when travelling.
Unless you have serious dexterity issues, I do not know why the single use pens are prescribed.
I recommend getting your GP to prescribe the pens. Yes, I do mean that in plural because they can fail so you need a spare, just in case.
Thank you for the information-it’s the first I’ve heard of there being an issue! Best I get my GP to swap me over to the cartridges & pens pronto! Thanks again.

Thank you for the information-it’s the first I’ve heard of there being an issue! Best I get my GP to swap me over to the cartridges & pens pronto! Thanks again.
Yes. There has been discussions on the forum about the current unprecedented shortages and how our HCPs could be more proactive with regards to keeping us informed, especially when, as in this case, the solution is pretty straightforward.

Just want to add that the NovoPen Echo is fab and probably the best reusable pen on the market. Mine are coming up to 5 years old (I use them for Fiasp and Levemir) and not had a failure so far and the last dose reminder is still working on them although I imagine the little batter must be getting tired. It gets enough use, as I need it rather too often 🙄.

Last year, my dispensary could not get hold of Fiasp Penfill cartridges for a very short time and they issued me with a box of 5 Fiasp FlexPens to tide me over just in case, I ran out. I felt obliged to use them up rather than waste them, when I got my next order of Fiasp cartridges, but I really hated having to go back to using such horrid cheap pens with no half dose option like the NovoPen Echo has and no dose reminder. I really was shocked at how much I disliked having to use them once I had got used to the NovoPen Echo.

I think you will be very happy with your new pens. They come in red and blue. I have a red one for my FIasp because it is nearer the Flexpen colour and the blue one for my Levemir to make it easier to remember which one I need to use. You do need to specify which colour you want as I believe the order codes are slightly different, for different colours.

A friend of mine has also had some difficulty getting hold of Fiasp in vials recently.

I hope the supply of cartridges holds up!

Back