Fiasp - BG swings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broomey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Morning
Haven’t posted for a while and hopefully you can help.
Fiasp and Levemir, DAFNE and Libre user.
Couple of times recently my BG has fallen quickly (LS alarm is set at 5.5 but didn’t trigger until 3.6) and then it took over an hour to get back to 5+ - few sweets and a biscuit used to correct which would typically work Typically my BG then rebounded high and this morning i woke on 19.
We had done a lot of walking but my 2 main concerns are
1) Why didn’t LS alarm at 5.5?
2) Why did it take over an hour for my BG to return to normal ?
I know Diabetes is not an exact science (42 years Type 1) but this is so frustrating
Any thoughts would be welcome please

When did you bolus and when did the fast drop start? Sometimes insulin can be absorbed fast and that can cause a low that’s difficult to get out of (because the insulin has released too fast so you got too much working at one time) followed by a high (because the insulin has run out early due to releasing too big a chunk too early). It’s happened to me on Humalog before and is scary. And no, the Libre can’t catch a fast drop like that, even though you’ve done the right thing setting your alarm at 5.6.

Sorry to hear you have had some nasty hypos. Do you think this was a bolus hypo or a basal? ie. Had you bolused recently or within the previous 3 hours? I find Fiasp tends to be very responsive to exercise and particularly in warm weather so I am wondering if your walking increased the speed that the Fiasp kicked in.

Can I ask if you finger prick to check your hypo recovery or go off Libre? If the latter, this will often lead to over treating hypos because Libre takes longer to register a change of direction of your levels, due the algorithm used to try to convert the interstitial fluid readings that the Libre takes into Blood Glucose readings. It is important to always double check any low or high Libre readings before treating unless you obviously feel hypo. I am guessing you did on this occasion. It is however also very important to check recovery after 15 mins with a finger prick rather than rely on the Libre because Libre will almost always show your levels have gone lower 15 mins after taking your hypo treatment, which might then encourage you to have more fast acting carbs than you actually need, whereas a finger prick will almost always show that your levels have come back up at that 15 min point post treatment.

I know Diabetes is not an exact science (42 years Type 1) but this is so frustrating

Liquid glucose works fastest of all, so coke or glucojuice would get your bg levels up quicker in times when its falling fast.

Morning
Haven’t posted for a while and hopefully you can help.
Fiasp and Levemir, DAFNE and Libre user.
Couple of times recently my BG has fallen quickly (LS alarm is set at 5.5 but didn’t trigger until 3.6) and then it took over an hour to get back to 5+ - few sweets and a biscuit used to correct which would typically work Typically my BG then rebounded high and this morning i woke on 19.
We had done a lot of walking but my 2 main concerns are
1) Why didn’t LS alarm at 5.5?
Sounds as if you had too much basal in you as you had done a lot of walking.
I would also suspect the reason you had no alarm was due to a very sudden drop which was to quick for the sensor to alert you.
The reason it took your blood sugars so long to rise would again I suspect be due to far to much basal. Perhaps consider lowering your basal and see how you get on.
Biscuits contain fat so prob not a good option to treat a hypo either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back