Few things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakeAlchemist

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone

So I was diagnosed type 2 the year after I had my daughter who is now 3. Long story short I basically did bugger all about it other than Metformin until I started monitoring my BM a few weeks ago after feeling progressively unwell and a 2 week headache! My Metformin had been stopped the month previous due to having had food poisoning and then really not coping well with the reintroduction (I also have bowel issues so GP wanted to stop and refer me to gastroenterology)
So following a call with another GP I've been started on Alogliptin 25mg. I started this 10 days ago, how long should I wait to see any improvement in my levels? I'm struggling with fasting which is averaging 10-12 and then I can get myself to around 8-9 over the day by basically constantly exercising but once I eat I'm having to exercise like mad to bring it down and I rarely get below 11 post meal

I've overhauled my diet massively, calculated my calories and macros with lower carb/higher protein in mind, I'm pairing carbs with fat and protein and drinking plenty fluids. I've literally cut ALL crap for the time being due to how unwell I was and the huge wakeup call but I now feel like I'm so out of control (I am a control freak and not being able to fix this is proving hard on my anxiety)
I've started using the Libre 2 (self funded) and it's giving me some insight as to when my levels are creeping up and allowing me to take measures, usually walk/cycle and fluids. I'm luckily self employed so I can allow myself the time to stop working and get a few thousand steps to bring it down but it's not ideal! I do check this with a finger prick and they seem to match up
So really I'm just looking too see what folks may recommend or suggest?
I am very overweight, lost 10.7lb since I started the new meds/diet overhaul and have set myself a small goal of 20% overall bodyweight loss as a starting point before I restart proper training (I was big into weight training and power lifting before my pregnancy and I know this will help again)
I just dont know If I should be on other meds until the levels come down, I'm getting bouts of unwell feeling when there up still, I've read that Alogliptin is usually paired with a second medication?
If you have read this far I thank you!

Welcome to the forum, I hope you will find it helpful.
The medications work in different ways, Metformin, a biguanide, works by lowering the amount of sugar your liver releases into your blood and helps your body respond better to insulin. Alogliptin, a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitor, works by increasing the amount of insulin your body makes. So if you are not tolerating the metformin then you are relying on making enough dietary changes to allow the insulin you are producing to be able to cope with the carbs you are having.
You say you are reducing your carb intake but how many carbs per day are you still having as it may still be too much, however with that medication there is a potential for low blood glucose so you should have a monitor and strips on prescription.
You have the Libre so you should be able to see what foods and meals may be causing a big increase in blood glucose and look to changing something there.
This link may give you some ideas for modifying your diet. It is a low carb approach which has been found to be successful. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Welcome to the forum @BakeAlchemist

And a massive well dine on your new push to get your diabetes to behave itself. Sounds like you are making lots of positive choices and seeing some encouraging progress.

Waking BGs can be a bit stubborn in terms of coming down, but don’t panic too much - it’s actually better in some ways that your levels are descending gradually. A rapid change from high BGs to in-range numbers can be quite hard on the fine blood vessels, and in some cases can even give rise to transient nerve pain and/or retinopathy. Diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint, and slow and steady will surely win the race 🙂

Well done on your weight loss too. There is some good research that shows significant weight loss can help remove the build-up of visceral fat around the organs - which can help the pancreas and liver to perk back up again.

Keep going, and let us know how you are getting on 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back