Fell off the wagon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugal1000

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just back from a business trip which was a disaster food wise. Had been doing pretty well having lost 18.5 pounds since beginning September and really cutting back on the carbs and sugar. No excuse except a lack of will power. My BG levels had been around 5-6 when I did test which isn't very often as only diagnosed in August (53 mmol) and didn't want to become obsessed with numbers. Foolishly ate a big bar of Tony's chocolate this morning (bought at airport last night) and have no idea why and very annoyed with myself. Did a test and 10.5, never seen it that high but assume this is something to do with the chocolate and will test again later and am confident I am back in control now. I guess my question is, how much damage can 5 days of not being careful do? I have my follow up blood test on 2nd December and was really hoping my 53 mmol number would come down a bit but now thinking I may have blown it. I was adamant I did not want to go on medication at this point as I wanted to control it myself as I thought I would have less incentive to be good if I knew I had medication as a back up. Not sure that makes sense.
Thanks for all your support just writing this is making me feel better.

The HbA1c test covers about 90 days of how much glucose your red blood cells have been exposed to, so 5 is probably recoverable if you didn't go totally overboard, and 10.5 is higher than the preferred post meal level for type 2 but not horrendous as a one off.

The best way to fix is to forgive your self and move on to being back on the wagon

Glad you found sharing your experiences helpful @Portugal1000

Often better to get it out in the open than let it stew and circulate in your brain.

I agree with @42istheanswer - you can’t change what happened in the past, but you can notice it, accept that it happened, see how it has made you feel, forgive yourself - then move forward with renewed determination.

10.5 after a big bar of Tony's isn't actually a bad result to be honest.
I take it you tested two hours later.
These things happen.
The weight loss will make a real difference as well.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I think I’d treat myself to a big bar of chocolate once in a while if that was the damage! @Portugal1000 how long after the chocolate did you test? I wouldn’t beat yourself up. Sometimes we just need to get these things out of our system.

I don't think a single discretion will make a huge difference to hba1c. It doesn't really show if you've had the odd peak or trough, but will highlight if you're always in a state of having too much BG as more cells will be glycated the longer you're up.

Or something like that.

I don't think a single discretion will make a huge difference to hba1c. It doesn't really show if you've had the odd peak or trough, but will highlight if you're always in a state of having too much BG as more cells will be glycated the longer you're up.

Or something like that.
Yes - something exceedingly like that!

Importantly, I've never heard of Tony before, is he Terry's brother?

I don't know, but stealing his chocolate seems a little bit mean!

Yes - something exceedingly like that!

Importantly, I've never heard of Tony before, is he Terry's brother?
He's trying to produce chocolate more ethically than Terry I think

10.5 after a big bar of Tony's isn't actually a bad result to be honest.
I take it you tested two hours later.
These things happen.
The weight loss will make a real difference as well.
Tony's chocolate bar does looks delicious however, I am terrified it will break my teeth.... My post annual reviews reward was a bar of CDM and like you resulted in a 10.3 on my meter. But I figured once a year wasn't the end of the world.

My mate from school has long been (like 65 years as we didn't meet until we were 7) a specifically CDM chocaholic and I've never understood her addiction to it.

My mate from school has long been (like 65 years as we didn't meet until we were 7) a specifically CDM chocaholic and I've never understood her addiction to it.
Tbh pre diagnosis I could live without CDM and did. Now it is my post annual review treat. I know there are loads of other better chocolate but..

In the interest of science I had a piece of cake and two hours after I was 9.3, does that mean I can have another bit?

In the interest of science I had a piece of cake and two hours after I was 9.3, does that mean I can have another bit?
It depends on what you were before the cake but that is rather high from just a piece of cake. Try half a piece next time if it was nice enough.

Hi , starting to get hold of how my blood monitor works ( I think )

Tested prior to to breakfast (10.4 ) and two hours afterwards it was 14.8 !

I had a bad weekend and it's only just returned from 14 ish to 10 ish.

How ever my blood pressure is dropping !

My BG levels had been around 5-6 when I did test which isn't very often as only diagnosed in August (53 mmol) and didn't want to become obsessed with numbers.
Only barely into the diagnostic zone for T2 & already seeing 5s or 6s, that a great start.

Foolishly ate a big bar of Tony's chocolate this morning (bought at airport last night) and have no idea why and very annoyed with myself. Did a test and 10.5, never seen it that high but assume this is something to do with the chocolate and will test again later and am confident I am back in control now.
It's possible you caught the top of the spike, non-diabetics often spike higher than 7.8 too, don't beat yourself up.

I guess my question is, how much damage can 5 days of not being careful do? I have my follow up blood test on 2nd December and was really hoping my 53 mmol number would come down a bit but now thinking I may have blown it.
Bugger all to your A1c, they say it's a 3 month average but has been known to be significantly weighted towards the last 2 weeks before the test.

Thanks for all your support just writing this is making me feel better.
Stay your path, with increased weight loss you could make further strides.
If your beta cells are dormant you may find over time you can tolerate more carbs, but let them rest for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back