Feet

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 33898
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 33898

Hi

Not sure if this is something I should be concerned about yet. I am just wondering for those who are newly diagnosed or those who can remember when they were diagnosed, were they asked about or encouraged to discuss changes with their feet? I've had 3 clinic visits since diagnosed about 3 months ago and never have feet been mentioned. I keep forgetting to ask them about this. I ask here because I've always had repeated problems with my left foot before even being diagnosed, like brown spots appearing, dry skin, cracked toe nail(sounds lovely I know) Just wouldn't want something simple becoming a bigger problem now that diabetes is thrown in the mix

My feet are usually checked annually by the diabetes trained nurse at the GP surgery as part of my diabetes review along with my blood test for the full range of analysis, BP and weight. Don't think my feet have ever been checked at clinic.
It may be that different areas have different procedures as some GP surgeries don't have a diabetes trained nurse (not a DSN)
The sort of things you are looking for with your feet are swelling, redness or inflamed skin or sore spots which might indicate or develop into an infection. If you have good sensation in your feet and good management of your BG levels then you are less likely to develop problems with your feet but if you have something which concerns you about your feet then you should get them checked out.... if you have difficulty getting an appointment with the GP, sometimes you can email a photo of the issue along with a written description of your concerns and mention that you are diabetic, just so that that information doesn't get overlooked. At my GP surgery, the GP will then decide if they want to see it themselves of make an appointment for you with the nurse or possibly prescribe antibiotics if they feel it is infected. The nurse can also refer you to podiatry services if they feel that would be beneficial/necessary.

I’ve was diagnosed type 1 just over a year ago. Never had my feet mentioned or looked at. Actually that’s a lie. On my first appointment when I was considered a type 2 the nurse said I should check your feet but we arnt allowed due to covid. I’m assuming this has changed now as I’ve heard others are getting foot exams

@rebrascora thanks that's very helpful!

The clinic I go to at the hospital has a consultant, diabetic nurse and dietician to see. My GP service is pretty woeful, even without covid restrictions. So I might expect to get my feet checked at a later date then? I was considering going to a private podiatry service for whatever it is wrong as long as it's simple in the meantime . Though wondering would they maybe not see me because I'm diabetic. I never cared too much about what was happening with my feet til now haha

I think they are ok but I do get strange sensations now and then. I’ve not really got my head around the diabetes yet and I get overwhelmed when I think about possible complications. I’m a complete wimp! Never used to be. I hope you get your answers and that it’s nothing to worry about. What was your a1c on diagnosis if you don’t mind me asking and when was it?

Hi, diagnosed 3 months ago 🙂

Yes, my DSN told me to approach my GP about any feet issues, but asks if they are ok on each visit because feet are 1 of the 3 most important things to check. During my last visit, she told me to ask my GP about doing a feet check (I have very little trust in my GP surgery however). That’s all I know tbh 🙂

Hi @jazzchicken

This is the advice from the Diabetes UK site on foot health and what to check/look out for

Feet should be checked annually at a gp clinic/podiatrist but checks/access to podiatry are quite patchy & dependant on where you live -even more so with the impact of Covid. There's no reason a private podiatrist wouldn't see you because of diabetes, they can check skin, nails etc and if there is an issue that requires further attention that they can't provide will advise you to seek further help.

@EmmaL76 honestly the complications really bother me too when I think about them but I'd like to think if I was going about my management badly the doctor would tell me. So just had to check one of my letters to be sure the date. I was diagnosed 2nd july with a1c of 99.

@Flower thats helpful info thanks. I may get an appointment booked asap. One less thing to worry about

@rebrascora thanks that's very helpful!

The clinic I go to at the hospital has a consultant, diabetic nurse and dietician to see. My GP service is pretty woeful, even without covid restrictions. So I might expect to get my feet checked at a later date then? I was considering going to a private podiatry service for whatever it is wrong as long as it's simple in the meantime . Though wondering would they maybe not see me because I'm diabetic. I never cared too much about what was happening with my feet til now haha
I go private. It’s not a good nhs podiatry service here. Despite my age and disability they’re always on at me to go to a paid service miles away. They leave my hard skin and nails aren’t filed and catch on bed sheets. It’s lesS problems as I’ve a podiatrist I trust £30 every few months is ok

Last edited by a moderator:
You should get quite a lot of support in the first few months then it may tail off a little bit. You must ask if your worried about anything. Have you been put forward for the libre sensor ? That will help you so much xx

I go private. It’s not a good nhs podiatry service here. Despite my age and disability they’re always on at me to go to a paid service miles away. They leave my hard skin and nails aren’t filed and catch on bed sheets. It’s lesS problems as I’ve a podiatrist I trust £30 every few months is ok
That would be frustrating. But good to know you can go to someone for reasonable cost. Think last time I was at one years ago was £35 minimum work.

You should get quite a lot of support in the first few months then it may tail off a little bit. You must ask if your worried about anything. Have you been put forward for the libre sensor ? That will help you so much xx
Yes I have the libre sensor. Which has been great but also a burden. The doctor told me today my amount of scanning is obsessive, which I know but find it difficult to stop.

@jazzchicken Whilst it is not great that your feet have not been checked, I think you may need to reset your expectations.
Mine are checked at most annual checks, Checking consists of me taking off my shoes and socks, then closing my eyes and telling the nurse when I feel her prod my foot with a soft spiky thing. There is no investigation of hard skin or discoloured skin or anything like that. Just a check that I have good feeling in my feet.
This may not sound good but it is a huge step up from the foot tests I used to get. The nurse would ask if my feet were ok and, when I said “yes”, the box was ticked.
As with many things diabetes related, a big part of the onus is upon us to keep an eye on our feet. @rebrascora described the things to look out for. There is also some useful advice on the Diabetes Uk website.

Last edited:
I went to see a nurse at my GP surgery today for my first blood test since being diagnosed. She is a new nurse, she took my blood, then decided to check my feet as it was on my notes - prodder was used as described above - I was not expecting this at all although having my feet checked had been discussed with my DN last week, but I thought (maybe wrongly) that it would entail a trip to the hospital. I also got my pneumonia jab and BP check. Nothing for me to complain about today lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back