Feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGW

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed type 2 3 months ago and when I had my appointment with the diabetes nurse she said I should moisturise my feet every day to prevent hard skin etc.

But due to the shape of my feet ( high arches etc,) and walking every day I have always had hard skin especially on the balls of my feet and has never caused me any problems.

Was just wondering how many of you type 2s actually moisturise you feet every day and if this is normal practice.

I was diagnosed type 2 3 months ago and when I had my appointment with the diabetes nurse she said I should moisturise my feet every day to prevent hard skin etc.

But due to the shape of my feet ( high arches etc,) and walking every day I have always had hard skin especially on the balls of my feet and has never caused me any problems.

Was just wondering how many of you type 2s actually moisturise you feet every day and if this is normal practice.
I think the worry is that if the skin is very dry it is more likely to crack and allow infection to get in and if blood glucose is unmanaged then infections are slower to heal.
It is important to keep an eye on your feet and tackle any issues promptly.

I do, with a high urea content foot cream my podiatrist sells to me at wholesale price.

But it's because I walk a lot every day & if I don't moisturise I get painful corns all the time. Not a diabetes thing.

I moisturise my feet daily but as above, it's more to do with walking a lot every day and corn prevention and having nice feet to look at. I generally do the same with my hands as well as I want to keep the liver spots at bay for as long as possible :rofl:

On a serious note, dry hard skin can be a welcome mat for infection so as a diabetic, it is better to have smooth feet. I have a really good chiropodist and it's money well spent.

I have always had hard thick dry skin on my hands and feet which is prone to cracking and I have always rasped it down when it gets too thick and moisturized to try to keep them reasonably good.
Basically, now that you are diabetic, it is more important to look after your feet because they are more at risk, particularly if our diabetes is or has not been managed well and the nerves and blood vessels are already damaged. Walking is great for stimulating the blood flow to help keep things healthy but giving your feet some extra love to keep the skin as supple as possible is a good idea because your skin is the barrier to infection.
I don't religiously moisturize every day, but I do try keep on top of the task most days.

@PGW I've been using E45 moisturising cream for the past nine months as advised by my DN as I had very hard and cracked skin, I had to do a fair bit of rasping to clear what hard skin I had and now use the cream at least four times a week.

It's amazing just how good my feet look and feel now, even my wife's proud of them 🙂 E45 cream as recommended by my DN is a non-perfumed cream and is available on eBay at a very reasonable price if you are interested.

@PGW I've been using E45 moisturising cream for the past nine months as advised by my DN as I had very hard and cracked skin, I had to do a fair bit of rasping to clear what hard skin I had and now use the cream at least four times a week.

It's amazing just how good my feet look and feel now, even my wife's proud of them 🙂 E45 cream as recommended by my DN is a non-perfumed cream and is available on eBay at a very reasonable price if you are interested.
Thank to you all for the feedback - good advice.

Hi I don’t do mine everyday but a couple of times a week and also visit the podiatrist every 2 or 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back