Feet injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daphnedahlia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi all, I hope I can get an answer of what to do. I saw my chiropodist on Friday, a new guy. He really hurt me when cutting my nails, which I told him about. Any way he finished and then padded one of my toes, I asked why and he told me it would protect the toe.
By the time I got home my foot hurt. The next day I cut off all the padding and plasters. My toenail had been ripped off! I checked the rest and found three more damaged, he had even cut off a piece of my big toe.
Where or who should I contact about this, I am sure he must be a fake or if not should be banned.

Hi all, I hope I can get an answer of what to do. I saw my chiropodist on Friday, a new guy. He really hurt me when cutting my nails, which I told him about. Any way he finished and then padded one of my toes, I asked why and he told me it would protect the toe.
By the time I got home my foot hurt. The next day I cut off all the padding and plasters. My toenail had been ripped off! I checked the rest and found three more damaged, he had even cut off a piece of my big toe.
Where or who should I contact about this, I am sure he must be a fake or if not should be banned.

Sorry to hear of your woes. Was as it an NHS or private podiatrist?

I do not know who you can contact, but if it was me I would want to speak to someone about it. It's incredible that he would not even tell you that he'd accidentally ripped your nail off and cut your toe. I hope you have his full name.

The first thing I would do is to take some pictures of the damage done so you have some evidence. But you should complain to whoever caused the problem but chiropodists/podiatrists must have a regulatory body as other Health professionals do, so you could contact them.
In the meantime if you feel your feet need attention do you have a walk in centre or small injury unit nearby.

I suggest that you tell your GP surgery as soon as possible, ask if you can send photos as you might need to get antibiotics PDQ after such treatment - I mean - who knows if the clippers were even sterile.
In recent years I've had problems after slight injuries and needed to get antibiotics to resolve the infections. It is not diabetes related in my case. I contacted the surgery on line and was sent a link to upload a photo for a GP to assess.
As a child I watched my grandmother deteriorate year on year after a similar injury, left untreated, started a cascade of problems for her.

I saw a private podiatrist for many years paying £1000's to try and avoid problems. Once I developed the ulcer it was passed to the NHS PDQ. I had gone private as the problem with the NHS was all their appointments were between 9:00 - 5:00, M - F. 220 miles from work! Very awkward when you work full time. It would have been nice to have got a call to see how I was getting along but it never happened.

That aside these days I am seen by the NHS-Trust IDS (Integrated Diabetes Services) Podiatry Team. If you were seen by one of there just contact the team in the morning. The advice about taking photographs and maybe needing an antibiotic is good as with diabetes and/or smoking circulation may be impaired, and infection can set in and escalate very quickly indeed. Fortunately most (podiatry) butchers are now gone but there are a few older ones lurking. The person you saw needs his wings clipped!

I saw a private podiatrist for many years paying £1000's to try and avoid problems. Once I developed the ulcer it was passed to the NHS PDQ. I had gone private as the problem with the NHS was all their appointments were between 9:00 - 5:00, M - F. 220 miles from work! Very awkward when you work full time. It would have been nice to have got a call to see how I was getting along but it never happened.

That aside these days I am seen by the NHS-Trust IDS (Integrated Diabetes Services) Podiatry Team. If you were seen by one of there just contact the team in the morning. The advice about taking photographs and maybe needing an antibiotic is good as with diabetes and/or smoking circulation may be impaired, and infection can set in and escalate very quickly indeed. Fortunately most (podiatry) butchers are now gone but there are a few older ones lurking. The person you saw needs his wings clipped!
Sorry to hear of your woes. Was as it an NHS or private podiatrist?
The guy was from the local NHS trust

The guy was from the local NHS trust
Hi. I had a not dissimilar problem to do with elsewhere on the body. I ended up with ulcers on my ankles that went down to the bone.
Take some pictures of the wounds as they are now. Please consult your GP as soon as you can, if it then becomes infected in a few days they can probably triage you over the phone and prescribe antibiotics if necessary.
I would then suggest you make a complaint via the PALS team at your main hospital. I think you should have been told what had happened and what to look out for by the guy that did your feet. They can and do get things investigated. The one at my Hospital overturned the initial cover up and I got a full apology and a fresh team to treat me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back