Feet are on fire - ouchies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb_l

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Don't worry, I'm off to the GP this morning because I'm done with ignoring diabetes symptoms but wanted to have a little chat on here as well.

I thought I was doing really well and had got my HbA1c down to 38, was feeling the best I've felt in years but now this last 2-3 weeks or so I've had this horrible burning in my feet in the evening. Not bad enough to stop me sleeping but uncomfortable all the same.

Of course I consulted Dr Google, like you do and scared myself half to death but I've had my foot pulse check with the diabetes nurse and my chiropodist checks my feet and pulses every visit and everything is good there.

I know you can't really answer but is it likely to be neuropathy? Is this how it starts? Sorry, lots of questions I should be aiming at my GP but there's probably far more experience on here :D

Burning can be a neuropathy symptom @Deb_l but other things can cause burning feet too, eg vitamin deficiencies, particularly of B vitamins. Sometimes big changes in blood sugar can cause prickling and burning - even if they’re big improvements. It’s good you’re seeing a GP. It sounds like you’ve got your diabetes under control, so hopefully even if it is connected it will settle.

Quick update, since the GP visit. All feet pulses are still fine (as before) and he's not too concerned about neuropathy. He did however suggest a possible B12 deficiency but has asked me to wait another month to see if it settles. If not, I have to go back for blood tests.

In the meantime however I shall now be googling 'low carb foods rich in B12' :D

Quick update, since the GP visit. All feet pulses are still fine (as before) and he's not too concerned about neuropathy. He did however suggest a possible B12 deficiency but has asked me to wait another month to see if it settles. If not, I have to go back for blood tests.

Good luck with your feet, mine are a total nightmare.

Are you on Metformin? A known side effect of a high dose is B12 deficiency, so it should be checked annually.

Metformin prevents its absorption, so eating B12 doesn‘t work, it has to be injected.

Mine were so bad last night that i only managed just over an hours sleep, am supposed to be going out this afternoon, so god knows how i will stay awake. Am going to speak to my doctor to see if he can prescribe anything to help as can't keep going on with hardly any sleep x

Mine were so bad last night that i only managed just over an hours sleep, am supposed to be going out this afternoon, so god knows how i will stay awake. Am going to speak to my doctor to see if he can prescribe anything to help as can't keep going on with hardly any sleep x
Nightmare. I can't sleep in the bed as the symptoms progress faster. Although, it can always be worse.

If you have only recently taken control then it could actually be nerves regenerating. If it is that and you keep better control up then it will go eventually.

Are you on Metformin? A known side effect of a high dose is B12 deficiency, so it should be checked annually.

Metformin prevents its absorption, so eating B12 doesn‘t work, it has to be injected.
No, I take Sitagliptin for my diabetes which doesn’t have a massive amount of side effects.

I do however have Crohn’s which I know can prevent absorption of B12 but you would think this would have reared its head years ago if my bowel was to blame.

It’s a proper mystery. They are fine all day, then come night time, it’s like my feet suddenly want to escape their skin and they feel tight and hot. They aren’t hot to touch though.

I said to the doc, it’s like restless leg syndrome but for feet!!

If you have only recently taken control then it could actually be nerves regenerating. If it is that and you keep better control up then it will go eventually.
I’m hopeful it’s this. My feet have been quite cold for a while and with a previous HbA1c of 96, I do wonder if the nerves in my feet had already suffered. The GP dismissed this but, in my head, this explanation makes the most sense to me.

I’m hopeful it’s this. My feet have been quite cold for a while and with a previous HbA1c of 96, I do wonder if the nerves in my feet had already suffered. The GP dismissed this but, in my head, this explanation makes the most sense to me.
Good to see someone using the correct upper and lower case of HbA1c. And in the right order.

Just kidding. Or am I.

I only started on insulin on 27th july, so hopefully it will get better over time x

My partner has found that the only thing which helps his burning feet a little is Boots Cooling Foot Gel. Sadly it's not always available online, but whenever I go to a different town I usually stop in a Boots and buy the remaining 2 or 3 on the shelf for him. He has neuropathy but isn't diabetic! If you can find some gel, that may help a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back