Feeling worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadsac

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Not really a question, just needing to get this off my chest. I was only diagnosed in January. Hbac1 114 at the time. The diagnosis was a shock as I have had no symptoms, I went for a routine blood test. The GP said you’re diabetic and have to have eye and foot screening and diabetic nurse will want to speak to you. Saw the nurse who told me all the negative things and just wanted to push all sorts of tablets on me for diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol. BP and cholesterol were well in normal range. I refused everything and said I would try to control things with diet. At the time I had no kitchen due to renovation work and was loving of takeaways and microwave meals.
I bought a glucose monitor and have regularly been taking readings since January. They started around 17 - 19. I am now regularly reading between 6- 9. I have lost 5 kg and I am following a low carb diet.
I have just had a message from the doctors telling me I have to go for another blood test. I am so scared about this that I have ignored it for a week. I’m worried that things won’t be as good as I think they are and the doctors are going to make me take medication.
Sorry for the long post but needed to get it off my chest.

I would think that drop in your readings and the reduced weight are hugely encouraging and you can reasonably expect a significantly better A1c result. If you can lose another 5kg or more then that should bring yet further benefit.

Not really a question, just needing to get this off my chest. I was only diagnosed in January. Hbac1 114 at the time. The diagnosis was a shock as I have had no symptoms, I went for a routine blood test. The GP said you’re diabetic and have to have eye and foot screening and diabetic nurse will want to speak to you. Saw the nurse who told me all the negative things and just wanted to push all sorts of tablets on me for diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol. BP and cholesterol were well in normal range. I refused everything and said I would try to control things with diet. At the time I had no kitchen due to renovation work and was loving of takeaways and microwave meals.
I bought a glucose monitor and have regularly been taking readings since January. They started around 17 - 19. I am now regularly reading between 6- 9. I have lost 5 kg and I am following a low carb diet.
I have just had a message from the doctors telling me I have to go for another blood test. I am so scared about this that I have ignored it for a week. I’m worried that things won’t be as good as I think they are and the doctors are going to make me take medication.
Sorry for the long post but needed to get it off my chest.
It is better to know whether your dietary changes have been successful rather than not knowing but with the blood glucose levels you are now seeing I would imagine you will have a much improved HbA1C
As long as you can show you are making every effort with your diet then you should be given more time to get your level down. But it is better to accept that you may need a bit of help from medication if what you have been doing is not working rather than risk having high level for longer than needed.
If you are doing low carb then have you seen this link as it may give you some new ideas. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Low carb diets are really effective at lowering blood glucose for an ordinary type 2 and that will mean lower HbA1cs.
My blood glucose was over 17 at diagnosis, but at the first retest my HbA1c had reduced from 91 to 47. That was in 80 days.
The doctor can't make you take medication - but if you have been seeing much lower blood glucose levels you (and the doctor) might be as shocked as I was - I didn't know if I should laugh or cry, so I did both.
Low carb seems to lower blood pressure - one of my wicked delights is seeing the look on the nurses face when taking my blood pressure. They don't quite bang the sphygmomanometer on the desk but they give it a very hard look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back