Feeling strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Not sure what was the matter with me yesterday. I've been away at the weekend at The Good Food Show at the NEC in Birmingham and all day i felt 'weird' in the sense that i felt a bit 'spaced' out is how i can describe it, not quite with it and started to question my glucose levels and when i tested around 2pm my level was 8. Apart from breakfast i didn't really eat much throughout the day as i was at the food show and just tasted cheese which i thought was OK. I just felt strange but can't really put my finger on it, it's the first time since diagnosis i've felt like this and i tried not to show it but it made me feel uncomfortable all day, wonder what it was that made me feel this way?

I think I know what you mean Carina - I sometimes feel as though my levels must be a bit on the low side, but when I test they are higher than normal. I wonder if having an empty stomach and having above normal levels makes you feel like this?

yes, i didn't know whether it was high levels or low ish levels that made me feel this way, that's why i tested but although i was surprised it was an 8 (i thought it was a lot higher or lower by the way i was feeling) it just didn't explain why i was feeling this way. At times i felt sort of wobbly and started to worry about 'what if i pass out' in the packed arena but i sort of trundled through the day, it really is strange isn't it, this diabetes but hope i don't get these feelings too often.

Hi Carina,
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you came down with something in the next day or two if your bs was higher than normal unexplained- sorry! Also if you have been used to eating 3 sensible meals a day since diagnosis and then you have gone all day nibbling cheese, maybe that has something to do with it. If I wake over 7 and don't eat my BS have been seen to rise and stay up, whereas if I eat, I get an initial rise and then they lower. I would suggest not going all day with hardly anything again. Your body has probably got used to those 3 meals.

I hope you feel better tomorrow though Carina. I did a stint working at the good food show and the day can be quite shattering! I loved it though!

I feel like that occasionally and my levels have seemed OK. The I eat my main meal and feel fine again, so god knows what causes it.:confused:

I think what may be happening is that our livers think we are starving, so continues to put out glucose, but with us, there is no 'switch' to tell it to stop, so it keeps rising - probably quite slowly. We then end up feeling hungry/light-headed but have above normal (i.e. non-diabetic) levels. A non-diabetic person would probably just feel hungry but our slightly elevated levels add an extra dimension.

Aren't we the lucky ones? 🙄😉

There have been many times that I felt that way and my BG was in my normal range. Then I realized my BG had dropped a lot in a short period of time. If my BG was 8 and then I felt spaced out 45 minutes later, and testing showed a 5, I would be experiencing symptoms of a hypo even though the 5 is a very good number. If my BG drops very slowly that does not happen. Exercising can cause that if I don't check my BG before, during and after the activity and eat something when needed. Skipping a meal, or taking insulin and delaying eating can cause that too.

This might be unique to me, but when I feel strange it means I am headed for another cold or a chest infection. Last week I was feeling strange and this morning I sound like I've been up all night smoking cheap cigars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back