Feeling off balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarelryxx

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi as a recently diagnosed type 1LADA after taking my background lantus which I take 1st thing on a morning I wait around 1/2hr then have my nova rapid dose and then my breakfast but sometimes after eating around a hour I can feel a little off balance and unsteady and this can happen at any time of the day just So just wondering if anyone had experienced the same floaty feeling s and how to stop them I do eat the same breakfast every day

Why do you wait 30 minutes between your Lantus and NovoRapid? As they work at different speeds they can be taken at the same time in convenient.
I have not felt the floaty feeling you mentioned. If it is diabetes relayed, it is likely your blood sugars will be low or high. Next time it happens, I recommend checking your levels then we may be able to advise.

Hi it was my practice nurse that said to wait I’m currently waiting to meet my diabetic team so just learning my bloods were 8.1 1st thing and 1hr after 14.1 and 2 hrs after breakfast 12.6 had exactly same breakfast yesterday and blood s were 7.3 1st thing and 8.2 2hrs after I’m baffled

Hi it was my practice nurse that said to wait I’m currently waiting to meet my diabetic team so just learning my bloods were 8.1 1st thing and 1hr after 14.1 and 2 hrs after breakfast 12.6 had exactly same breakfast yesterday and blood s were 7.3 1st thing and 8.2 2hrs after I’m baffled
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you are in the very early stages of your diabetes, and things will be a bit varied. It sounds like they have put you on fixed doses for you Novorapid at present, so you will need to try to eat the same amount of carbs at each meal. Having said that if you find that you are always high 2 hours after a meal (and that can make you feel a bit weird) then it is likely that you are eating more carbs at that meal than the insulin can cover. You could try reducing the portion of your meal a little.

Having said that you mention that you did the same on two consecutive days and the levels were different. There are so many things that impact on our levels it is not always possible to identify what to change. That is why your diabetes team (once you get to see them) will work with you to enable you to decide on your own doses (using a ratio of insulin to carbs) and also do corrections when your levels go high/low.
In general it is good to gather information about carbs, insulin and levels and then look for patterns over time.

There is a lot to take on board at the start But it definitely gets easier. Any questions that arise, just ask. Nothing is considered silly on her And there is a wealth of experience to tap into.

Floaty feelings and ‘funny’ feelings can be related to blood sugar, both high and low. Also, if you’re fairly recently diagnosed, it’s normal to feel a bit ‘off’ as your body gets used to things.

You’re probably still making some insulin of your own, and that can kick in at random times, which might be part of the cause of your different results above. Also, many things can affect blood sugar - tiredness, hormones, exercise, illness, absorption, digestion, etc etc. Getting your head round that is hard but important. Sadly Type 1/LADA isn’t a condition where they calculate your doses and then everything’s fine all the time. Things change - from day to day, from week to week, from month to month. It’s frustrating but understanding that removes some stress.

As @helli said, you don’t need to wait to do your two different injections. For example, it’s perfectly possible to inject your basal in your thigh, and immediately after inject your bolus/meal insulin in your tummy. They’re two separate insulins doing different jobs.

Sorry to hear you’ve been feeling a bit wobbly @Clarelryxx

Have you had your BP checked recently?

I suspect you misunderstood the practice nurse 🙂
Inject the two insulins at the same time and then wait 30 mins before you eat as it takes your bolus anything from 15 - 30 mins to start working. If you do this your bolus will then be working in time with the food you are eating. Which will then keep your numbers down.

as dizzy floating feeling only started when sugars are coming down to a near normal level after starting insulin

If you were previously running high levels, these could be ‘false hypo’ symptoms. Where your body had become used to running high, and your glucose thermostat needs time to reset. Until then as your levels get into the normal range you can get some of the symptoms of low blood glucose - even though your levels are still in a healthy zone!

Hi what low number is classed as a hypo as I can get the shakes and feel weird when I drop under 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back