Feeling hyper when not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
On another thread it was discussed about feeling hypo when not actually being hypo. I know you can feel hypo when normal, because you have been running hyper for a while.

Now my question is, does it work the same the other way round? Can you feel hyper when 9, because you've been averaging 4-5 for a while?

Carol doesn't usually even feel hyper when 15 or at least she's never said so. Unfortunately, she's been quite low in the last few weeks and yesterday morning she was 9 and not feeling well.

On another thread it was discussed about feeling hypo when not actually being hypo. I know you can feel hypo when normal, because you have been running hyper for a while.

Now my question is, does it work the same the other way round? Can you feel hyper when 9, because you've been averaging 4-5 for a while?

Carol doesn't usually even feel hyper when 15 or at least she's never said so. Unfortunately, she's been quite low in the last few weeks and yesterday morning she was 9 and not feeling well.

hey...this is not an expert opinion, just my best guess but I know with me, I can be really high and not realise and I've spent a long long time running high and not doing anything about it, and I think that I got used to it so didn't even notice it really.

I would say if your daughter is very usually 4-5, and that's what her body is used to, then yes she would definitely feel high if she was up to 9.

hope that helps, and I'm sure they'll be loads more help/advice on here from others too.

Thanks Katie, I guessed as much, but I just wanted to see what other people thought.🙂

I've just tested, expecting to be a bit high but I'm in the 5s.

I generally go by my bladder (bare with me 🙄). If I'm high, obviously my kidneys dump a lot of fluid through to the bladder which tends to feel different to the norm.

As you can guess, I need to go pay a visit, but hope this helps a little bit.

Rob

I don't go much above 8.5 mmol very often. Very occasionally I get a really unexpected high but more often I'm not surprised as I get a headache and feel mildly unwell.

Even with tight control, being hyper at 9 does seem unusual, although we have to except that we are all different and our experiences can be somewhat different. Could I suggest that your daughter may have been feeling unwell due to something unrelated to her diabetes, as you say that even at 15mmol she doesn't have any hyper symptoms and this does sound out of character. Anyway, I hope things return to normal and your daughters good control continues! Toby.

Toby, I wish it was good control - when I said average 4-5, it includes an awful lot of hypos, some of them are my fault for calculating incorrectly and others we have no idea as to why she had them.

She did have a tummy bug a few weeks ago (no throwing up, just bad tummy) and it is possible that that might have lingered a bit.

Reading other threads (or it might have been on FB) maybe those tummyaches are because she's so low all the time. Her previous HbA1C was 7.8 and I'm sure she'll be below 7 next time. If that's the case, is that a big drop in 4 months and that's why she's suffering?

I just feel bad for her.:(

She's been offered the pump twice this year because of the hypos, but she wasn't keen on the idea. Now she's coming round to the idea, I'm hoping they won't say no when we ask next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back