Feeling Hot At Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi new on here, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2007 been on various treatments and recently been in hospital with DKA which has shocked me a fair deal.

Hi I am on Gliclazide and Linagliptin for my diabetes but I find for some reason I keep getting sporadic moments when I seem to feel all hot and it makes no difference if my blood sugars are a little but low or a little high.
I do find though in honesty that my first 2 blood sugar results of the day always seem to be the highest , I don't eat through the night.
I take Linagliptin with breakfast as I do Gliclazide but also Gliclazide with my evening meal.
Diabetes Nurse told me to test my blood sugars four times daily

BM tests - Before Breakfast, Before Lunch, Before Evening Meal, Before Bed

Three weeks ago I was in hospital with DKA for the first time ever and hopefully I won't experience that again but it has shook me

Welcome to the forum
As you are quite new to all this your body will be making adjustments to the medication and dietary changes so what you may be experiencing is a reaction to changing blood glucose levels. If you have had high blood glucose for sometime then as your body adjusts you may get 'false hypos' even though blood glucose is not actually low.
Once things settle down you may find it useful to do some strategic testing of your meals to see if you are tolerating the amount of carbohydrate. Testing before you eat but also after 2 hours will indicate if your meal is Ok if the increase is no more than 2-3mmol/l.
The DKA must have been a scary experience, do you know what led to that. Did that then lead to your diagnosis?
Have you been told what your HbA1C is as that is a good indication of how much work you will need to do.

Do you test your blood sugar when you feel hot @Kivetonguy ? (You said you only tested 4 times a day). How’s your blood sugar at the moment?

I see you were diagnosed a number of years ago. Have your meds changed recently?

Welcome to the forum
As you are quite new to all this your body will be making adjustments to the medication and dietary changes so what you may be experiencing is a reaction to changing blood glucose levels. If you have had high blood glucose for sometime then as your body adjusts you may get 'false hypos' even though blood glucose is not actually low.
Once things settle down you may find it useful to do some strategic testing of your meals to see if you are tolerating the amount of carbohydrate. Testing before you eat but also after 2 hours will indicate if your meal is Ok if the increase is no more than 2-3mmol/l.
The DKA must have been a scary experience, do you know what led to that. Did that then lead to your diagnosis?
Have you been told what your HbA1C is as that is a good indication of how much work you will need to do.
As strange it may sound and I don't understand either but I was diagnosed type 2 in 2007 nobody has ever really in that time fully explained the condition to me. I was on Empagliflozin for a few years and the hospital told me it was that medication that created the DKA in me (nobody ever told me when your not feeling well and hardly eating don't take that med) Urgh yes it was frightening. As it goes the hospital has also stopped the Metformin I was on due to bowel issues it caused.

Do you test your blood sugar when you feel hot @Kivetonguy ? (You said you only tested 4 times a day). How’s your blood sugar at the moment?

I see you were diagnosed a number of years ago. Have your meds changed recently?
Yes I was diagnosed type 2 in 2007 nobody has ever really in that time fully explained the condition to me. I was on Empagliflozin for a few years and the hospital told me it was that medication that created the DKA in me (nobody ever told me when your not feeling well and hardly eating don't take that med) Urgh yes it was frightening. As it goes the hospital has also stopped the Metformin I was on due to bowel issues it caused. In October this year I was changed from Ozempic (supply issues) to Linagliptin but due the recent DKA the hospital started me on Gliclazide twice daily.
No to be honest I have not thought of testing when I feel hot!

Do test @Kivetonguy Gliclazide can potentially cause hypos and feeling hot is a hypo symptom. Confusingly, it can also be a symptom of high sugar, so testing will let you see if it’s connected to your blood sugar or not.

Do test @Kivetonguy Gliclazide can potentially cause hypos and feeling hot is a hypo symptom. Confusingly, it can also be a symptom of high sugar, so testing will let you see if it’s connected to your blood sugar or not.
Ok will do next time

You seem to have had a bit of a rollercoaster of different medications since diagnosis, how well were they managing to keep your blood glucose at decent levels or have they never been effective. I wonder what dietary advise you were given or were you expecting the medication to do the trick.
Have you suddenly lost weight as together with meds not working and having DKA, I wonder if you may be misdiagnosed and actually be Type 1 or LADA.
Did they do an HbA1C test when you were in hospital to check what your blood glucose levels were.
What sort of readings are you getting when you are doing your tests.
It may be useful to keep a food diary of everything you eat and drink with an estimate of the amount of carbohydrate as that will indicate where you are at with carb intake but also provide evidence for your GP or diabetic nurse to go along side your glucose readings as that will help to inform as to whether the meds are working.
To get a better understanding of your condition then have a look at the Learning Zone (the orange tab at the top) and do come back and ask whatever questions you may have.

Welcome to the forum @Kivetonguy

Yikes! Sorry to hear about your DKA. That must have been scary!

Are you taking insulin for your diabetes?

Were you aware that things were going out of kilter before you were admitted? Were you ill with something else at the time?

So woke up feeling rather hot , tested blood sugar before getting out of bed and it was 9.9

Welcome to the forum @Kivetonguy

Yikes! Sorry to hear about your DKA. That must have been scary!

Are you taking insulin for your diabetes?

Were you aware that things were going out of kilter before you were admitted? Were you ill with something else at the time?
No I don't insulin for my diabetes I take Gliclazide & Linagliptin now
I had been feeling off for a few days but really wasn't aware.

So woke up feeling rather hot , tested blood sugar before getting out of bed and it was 9.9

Ok, so I’d carry on testing when you feel hot to see if you can find any pattern. For myself, I find if I go above 8 or 9 at night, I wake feeling burning hot, but that might vary depending on the individual. The good thing is that the hot feeling doesn’t seem related to going hypo, based on that one test you did.

Were you given a means to test for ketones when you left hospital, eg a special meter or urine dipsticks? If not, you can buy Ketostix (urine tests) for around £5. They’d help you keep an eye on things and catch any excessive ketones before you get DKA.

As for the hotness, if it’s not related to your blood sugar, have you had your thyroid checked recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back