feeling down

Status
Not open for further replies.

pam1407

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
dunno whats happening to me this is my fourth week of type 1 and i have been feeling really down arguementative and upset is this normal

hi pam,

this could very well be normal. how have the bg levels been?? i find if mine are slightly high i get a little bit aggressive and argumentative. i see your only 4 weeks in so dont worry as it takes time to get used to it all. took me the best part of 4 years to come to terms with the fact i was a diabetic. i think if you have good support around you then it is so much easier as your not having to walk round on egg shells and can rant when you feel you need to. also this forum is probably the best thing i have found as i get great advice and also i can air anything i feel i need to and get answers from folks who know it from day to day living just like me.

anyway if you need to chat im here 🙂

mike

dunno whats happening to me this is my fourth week of type 1 and i have been feeling really down arguementative and upset is this normal

Hi Pam,

Sorry to hear you are feeling rough. No doubt these four weeks have been extremely stressful for you and hard work, I recall being completely and utterly exhasted, as well as very confused and upset. My worst problem was how angry I was at everything, but mostly becuase I had got this disease.

Are you finding your BGs swing across the range as your settle in and get used to it all? Swinging blood sugars can cause the most pleasant people with diabetes to be extremely moody at times (I was thinking of myself there believe it or not!).

You are 4 weeks in and you have found this board, thats your best move! There are some great people here who can give some very good advice, and I know they will offer you as much as possible. I can only say I really feel for you as I have no idea to this day where my head was at four weeks in. Stay strong. Take each day one at a time. Keep checking in and reading, we are with you.

Lots of love and thoughts x

last week i had five hypos this week i have been high all week i dont understand as i am trying to be really good and eat healthy i get frustrated yes and very angry both at myself and the diabetes have never been under 16 this week the highest was 24 how the hell do u cope feel as if i am loosing my head

it just takes time to get into a good system for you, the eating healthy part helps. be careful of the carb content of food too as it affects your bg levels.

best advice i ever got was to try and remember that your in control and not your diabetes.

last week i had five hypos this week i have been high all week i dont understand as i am trying to be really good and eat healthy i get frustrated yes and very angry both at myself and the diabetes have never been under 16 this week the highest was 24 how the hell do u cope feel as if i am loosing my head

Hi Pam,

No wonder you're feeling frustrated and down if you've been having those kinds of swings. Are you in regular contact with your DSN or whoever is your primary healthcare contact? Are you on fixed insulin doses, or have you been getting advice on how to adjust it? During my first month I got (and made) several phone calls per week to ensure that the my levels were reasonable for the insulin I was having (I hadn't been taught carb-counting at that stage, and presume you haven't yet?).

As I have come to discover, there are so many factors involved that can cause changes in your levels, and learning about these and how to adjust for them does take time, unfirtunately. But you will get there, and then you'll feel a whole lot better about the whole business.

Do contact your healthcare team as soon as you can - getting those levels down to a better number will help greatly.

i am on jags twice a day of novomix 30 and have not yet been told about adjusting it i turn the pen to 18 units, my diabeties dr is on holiday i am not seeing her till 22nd april but i am doing all i should think thats why i am gett so annoyed at myself maybe i am expecting too much too soon just want to feel like a human being instead of an ogre as i have been. also no mention of carb counting hope i get that soon too

hi pam,

well i would start by sticking to what your doing for now, but also trying to get the appointment moved forward if pos. also when you see them ask them to switch you to a basal/bolus regime as this works better than just the twice daily jabs. (basal/bolus is 3 short acting and 1 long acting shot per day). i too felt like i was a narky customer when i got diagnosed but it is just due to the fluctuations in your bg levels. once they become more stable you will feel human again. this forum is a great place to meet folks and just get things off your chest and also to get info if you need it.

mike

i am on jags twice a day of novomix 30 and have not yet been told about adjusting it i turn the pen to 18 units, my diabeties dr is on holiday i am not seeing her till 22nd april but i am doing all i should think thats why i am gett so annoyed at myself maybe i am expecting too much too soon just want to feel like a human being instead of an ogre as i have been. also no mention of carb counting hope i get that soon too

Hi Pam, sorry to hear things are a bit pants at the moment.
Things do improve honest they do.
Please ring the diabetes nurse (DSN) You do need help to sort this out.
Being on a mixed insulin is not helpful for good control.
You need to ring your out of hrs Dr to ask about adjusting your insulin if you are not confident in adjusting it yourself.
If you do feel confident though just change things by 2 units at a time and wait a few days before you make any more changes.
It might also help to lower the amount of carbohydrates you are eating until your insulin dose is sorted out.

Please do give the out of hours Dr a ring though. That's what they are there for.
Best wishes
Sue

morning pam i have sent a reply to your pm x
as sue says it does get better we all go through a tonne of emotions sad mad angry fed up happy etc etc but theres people here for you all the time us and the diabetic team around you.. x

Hi Pam. I hope you are feeling better. These things take time to get used to. For me easter is a particularly bad time as I am a chocoholic and it is painful watching everyone else eating whole Easter eggs and I can only have a small piece as part of a meal.

Keep in touch with your diabetic care team or whoever you see, tell family and friends how you feel and come here. We all get frustrated and say why me from time to time, so you are not alone. On this forum we are our own special community.

hi pam its jason ive had it 4 22 years and all it as done is messed my life up i get it all right then within 4 weeks am drinking all the time just want 2 go 2 sleep i start rows with my wife but i know that it is not her fort ive got this shit but she is always there taking my moods and nasty ness that i come out with but ive also taking morpin beacuse i had a motorbike crash in 2001 and have nothink but pain with the metal rods in my legs.:(:(:(

Hi Pam

Ive only been diagnosed since end of Jan and my mood swings are erractic to say the least

Today Ive had massive argument with hubby and he always calms me down. My sugar levels have been good recently and yet I still feel as though Im not doing well at things

Im getting there though and having now had praise from my diabetic doc and nurse Im going to conquer this

If you ever want to chat to someone whose recently diagnosed pm me

Allyxx

I think one of the biggest hurdles (and you've already done it by comming here) is to tell others how you feel and asking for help.

Everyone here is diabetic or cares for someone who is diabetic. many of us like the support in one way or another. This and the other forums I use have helped immensly as I know everyone else has similar problems.

We may not have all the answers (but there is a lot of experience here), and we may often suggest you seek professional help, but we do listen, understand and sympathise or empathise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back