Feeling down and overwhelmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphin35

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
I'm newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes ( end of April) and feeling so overwhelmed with it all. I miss my sweet treats so much. Also I'm overwhelmed with all the information and tests I'm gonna need. Would just like some support and advice on how to keep my mental health well. Did others feel down and overwhelmed at first?
Thanx

This is how many feel but just take things day by day and you will see an improvement. Look upon it as an opportunity for better health.
Sweet treats can be still had but you will find your tastes change as you reduce the amount of carbs and 'sugary' things and foods will start to taste too sweet.
Good things to try are protein nut bars like Nature Valley, KIND or shop own as they are less than 10g carb per bar. If you are into baking then sugarfreelondoner website has some scrummy looking cakes, biscuits which are low carb, which @Martin62 frequently posts.
Unless you have other health issues the tests you would normally expect to have would be an HbA1C, cholesterol, kidney function and maybe a few others but normally from a single blood test visit and have you feet and eye retinal screening but that shows you are being looked after.

Hi all
I'm newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes ( end of April) and feeling so overwhelmed with it all. I miss my sweet treats so much. Also I'm overwhelmed with all the information and tests I'm gonna need. Would just like some support and advice on how to keep my mental health well. Did others feel down and overwhelmed at first?
Thanx

In my case I just concentrated on losing weight, didn’t check my blood sugar at all for 3 months and dived back into hobbies (Writing) and work to keep myself from dwelling on it. Occasionally got a bit tough, missing certain foods (I did love a good burger & pizza), and general worries about health, but after a while it just became normal. The fact all the ill effects of high blood sugar went away helped.

Sure, there were moments when the worry of it all (Is it going to get worse? What if I can’t get it under control?) got me a bit down, but I was determined to keep on going. Watching everyone tuck into a pizza while I’m eating a salad with a few bits of chicken on a bed of lettuce wasn’t fun, but after a while it didn’t bother (I might naughtily have a slice on occcasions, which is more than enough for me now, and my blood meter shows me I can handle it.)

I found buying and cooking fresh food helped, rather than become a chore, it became something I looked forward to doing.

I am lucky that I didn‘t really eat sweet stuff (The only cake I like is a scone) and wasn’t a big eater of sweets. I occasionally have a bag of crisps and will have the odd sweet (Nicked from the kids). I still miss a burger from Five Guys, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back