Feeling despondent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teadance

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just seen my recent HbA1c results. They appear to be 53. That‘s higher than at diagnosis 9 years ago when it was 51. I have been rigid with my diet for the last 5 weeks, knowing this was coming up. I know the test measures the last 3 months, and there were some indulgences during that period, but nothing crazy. Having been super strict the last 5 weeks I thought I would‘ve had a better reading. I know it’s stil quite low compared to some, but for me it’s a disappointment after the effort I’ve put in. Feeling so despondent and find it hard to keep motivated when you don’t get the ‘reward’ for the amount of effort put in. Just needed to moan!

Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit despondent. There will be a level of error involved in any test result so I personally don't see 53 as much different to 51 if at all and it is at a level where long term risks are minimal. My consultant is delighted when I achieve low 50s. If you have managed to maintain that level over 9 years then that is brilliant, so don't feel like you are failing by any means. There are lots of things which can impact BG levels and therefore HbA1c and perhaps you may have a little bit of anaemia which could throw the result out a bit. I was reading a comment recently which suggested that as we get older our red blood cells are not replenished as frequently as when we are younger, so that a higher HbA1c result is to be expected as we age because those red blood cells hang about longer and therefore more glucose sticks to them. The suggestion was that actually an HbA1c diagnosis of 48may not be as relevant to someone in their 70s and 80s compared to someone in their 40s. I have no idea of your age but this may be a relevant factor for you. If you have been ill in recent weeks/months or you have had a change of medication, that can also impact your levels. Covid in particular has caused increased BG levels for some people and has taken a long time to resolve

How strict is your diet? Ie what sort of things do you typically have for breakfast, lunch and evening meal. For instance, some people believe that having porridge for breakfast is good for people who are diabetic but many of us find it acts like rocket fuel on our BG levels. If you have been eating porridge for breakfast for the past 9 years it may be time to try something else as perhaps your body can no longer cope with that.

I see from your previous posts that you have used a BG meter and Libre in the past to track your levels. Have you been testing during the past 5 weeks that you have tightened up your diet?

I’d say it was pretty much the same too @Teadance Look at it positively - you’ve held steady despite some indulgences. You’ve managed to control any effect they might have had.

Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit despondent. There will be a level of error involved in any test result so I personally don't see 53 as much different to 51 if at all and it is at a level where long term risks are minimal. My consultant is delighted when I achieve low 50s. If you have managed to maintain that level over 9 years then that is brilliant, so don't feel like you are failing by any means. There are lots of things which can impact BG levels and therefore HbA1c and perhaps you may have a little bit of anaemia which could throw the result out a bit. I was reading a comment recently which suggested that as we get older our red blood cells are not replenished as frequently as when we are younger, so that a higher HbA1c result is to be expected as we age because those red blood cells hang about longer and therefore more glucose sticks to them. The suggestion was that actually an HbA1c diagnosis of 48may not be as relevant to someone in their 70s and 80s compared to someone in their 40s. I have no idea of your age but this may be a relevant factor for you. If you have been ill in recent weeks/months or you have had a change of medication, that can also impact your levels. Covid in particular has caused increased BG levels for some people and has taken a long time to resolve

How strict is your diet? Ie what sort of things do you typically have for breakfast, lunch and evening meal. For instance, some people believe that having porridge for breakfast is good for people who are diabetic but many of us find it acts like rocket fuel on our BG levels. If you have been eating porridge for breakfast for the past 9 years it may be time to try something else as perhaps your body can no longer cope with that.

I see from your previous posts that you have used a BG meter and Libre in the past to track your levels. Have you been testing during the past 5 weeks that you have tightened up your diet?
Thanks Rebrascora for your encouraging reply. I’m late 60s and have read something similar along the lines of the HbA1c levels were set using 20 something adults and an increase as you get older could be normal. I tend to keep carbs low, although I don’t count them. Breakfast tends to be eggs, avocado, cheese or almond butter. I use Patersons oat cakes instead of bread, so will have a couple with whatever protein I choose. I really thought I could keep this within the normal range but maybe have to accept that age catches up with all of us.

I’d say it was pretty much the same too @Teadance Look at it positively - you’ve held steady despite some indulgences. You’ve managed to control any effect they might have had.
Yes, I have worked hard to keep it low over the past few years. It has been a tremendous effort and I really want to see that ‘reward’. Maybe not being any worse IS the reward.

Looks like you are being aware of what are high carb foods so seem to be doing the right thing, the oatcakes are about 7g carb each so it depends on how many you have at once.
You may benefit from having a home testing blood glucose monitor so you can check how you tolerate the foods you are having. A way that people use is to test before they eat and after 2 hours and be aiming for no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase or no more than 8-8.5 mmol/l 2 hours after eating and a fasting/morning and before meal reading of 4-7mmol/l.
If your HbA1C is where it is it suggests that some of the time those parameters are being exceeded so testing could help you identify any problem foods.
Inexpensive monitors can be bought on line, a couple with the cheapest strips are the GlucoNavii or Spirit TEE2.
This link may help you with some ideas for meals https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Looks like you are being aware of what are high carb foods so seem to be doing the right thing, the oatcakes are about 7g carb each so it depends on how many you have at once.
You may benefit from having a home testing blood glucose monitor so you can check how you tolerate the foods you are having. A way that people use is to test before they eat and after 2 hours and be aiming for no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase or no more than 8-8.5 mmol/l 2 hours after eating and a fasting/morning and before meal reading of 4-7mmol/l.
If your HbA1C is where it is it suggests that some of the time those parameters are being exceeded so testing could help you identify any problem foods.
Inexpensive monitors can be bought on line, a couple with the cheapest strips are the GlucoNavii or Spirit TEE2.
This link may help you with some ideas for meals https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Thanks. I usually have 2 oat biscuits, but I may have them at other meals too in place of bread. I know they are still carbs but I thought they’d be slower release, so better for me than bread. I do test with a home meter and have occasionally gone over the 8.5 after two hours. It’s usually a higher carb meal that does it. It’s just tiresome and tedious constantly thinking about what I can have to eat that won’t send my BG soaring. I was just feeling fed up of the relentless need for constant vigilance.

Yes, I have worked hard to keep it low over the past few years. It has been a tremendous effort and I really want to see that ‘reward’. Maybe not being any worse IS the reward.

Exactly 🙂 Your diet sounds very sensible and moderate, so you’re doing everything right.

Thanks. I usually have 2 oat biscuits, but I may have them at other meals too in place of bread. I know they are still carbs but I thought they’d be slower release, so better for me than bread. I do test with a home meter and have occasionally gone over the 8.5 after two hours. It’s usually a higher carb meal that does it. It’s just tiresome and tedious constantly thinking about what I can have to eat that won’t send my BG soaring. I was just feeling fed up of the relentless need for constant vigilance.
Unfortunately with diabetes it is easy to let things slip or your body becomes less tolerant of some of the foods you previously were OK with. "2 oat biscuits doesn't seem excessive.
I know it might be a phaff but it might be worth while to keep a food diary for a few days of everything you eat and drink and try to estimate the carbs together with some of your test results as it may reveal some problem foods or portion sizes.
I slipped over the threshold to 50mmol/mol having been prediabetic 2 years ago and following the principals in the link I posted having 70g carbs per day brought my HbA1C down to 42 in 3 months and to 39mmol/mol as of now by sticking to what is my new way of eating.

Unfortunately with diabetes it is easy to let things slip or your body becomes less tolerant of some of the foods you previously were OK with. "2 oat biscuits doesn't seem excessive.
I know it might be a phaff but it might be worth while to keep a food diary for a few days of everything you eat and drink and try to estimate the carbs together with some of your test results as it may reveal some problem foods or portion sizes.
I slipped over the threshold to 50mmol/mol having been prediabetic 2 years ago and following the principals in the link I posted having 70g carbs per day brought my HbA1C down to 42 in 3 months and to 39mmol/mol as of now by sticking to what is my new way of eating.
I’ve started logging my food on My Fitness Pal (more faff!) but it does calculate carbs for you. I only have a few days logged so will need to continue to see if a trend emerges. I guess everyone gets fed up now and then. I just really wanted a good result as it helps so much with motivation.
Well done on your results. You must’ve worked hard.

I’ve started logging my food on My Fitness Pal (more faff!) but it does calculate carbs for you. I only have a few days logged so will need to continue to see if a trend emerges. I guess everyone gets fed up now and then. I just really wanted a good result as it helps so much with motivation.
Thank you. Things were going well on losing weight as well until I had an accident and had to have knee surgery so although I stuck with my low carb regime, exercise, well walking, I'm not back to where I was so I am rather stalled with that.

Last edited:
There are times when each of us gets fed up with managing our diabetes and there is a bit of faff to deal with each day. Having a log over a period of time will certainly help you identify patterns To inform your decisions about foods to avoid/portion sizes.

Keep at it, and keep in touch in here. It can really help to ‘be’ with people who ‘get it’.

Thank you. Things were going well on losing weight as well until I had an accident and had to have knee surgery so although I stuck with my low carb regime, exercise, well walking, I'm not back to where I was so I am rather stalled with that.
That makes your achievement even more impressive. I hope you’re well on the road to recovery now.

There are times when each of us gets fed up with managing our diabetes and there is a bit of faff to deal with each day. Having a log over a period of time will certainly help you identify patterns To inform your decisions about foods to avoid/portion sizes.

Keep at it, and keep in touch in here. It can really help to ‘be’ with people who ‘get it’.
Thanks. Yes, I think it was just such a downer when I really thought I would get an impressive result. I was even looking forward to receiving it. To find it’s higher than it has ever been made me wonder if they’d got the right test results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back