Feeling Depressed

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I only watch the news occasionally as it is quite depressing - wars that should have been avoided, irrelevant stories about politicians, abnormal weather events, etc. I was really moved a couple of nights ago. There was a little lad in Gaza who had lost his leg. I really felt for him thinking he has 70/80 years or more of the sh*t* I am going through. Hopefully being young he will not suffer the level of Phantom Pain I do or the drugs will work for him. So sad the suffering of the children and other innocents! :(

Hi Mikey,
Yes so much suffering in the world and the conflicts bring about much pain to many innocent victims.
I often think the headline figures about how many are killed are what a lot of people notice but we all know that many who have suffered life changing injuries face years and decades of painful recoveries and have to live with the consequences for life,
As you say particularly upsetting when they are very young.

The older I get, the more I try and avoid MSM press/tv news TBH.
I don't know your situation, but try and think of the positives in your life mate, your family, friends, I assume you have a roof over your head, heating, food in your belly, etc, etc.
No matter how bad our lives are (or how hard we think they are), there's always some poor soul worse off.
Just talking about issues can also help with alleviating them mate.
I'm on several forums, on several areas/hobbies, etc, and its always good to vent now and again too.
I am now officially a grumpy old man, but I fully embrace that, in fact I quite like being a grumpy old s*d now.
Hope you feel better soon mate.

The news can be very disturbing and worrying. If you're still feeling depressed @MikeyBikey my advice as regards tonight is find yourself a distraction.

Not because bad news should be marginalised, but because you'll do yourself no good sat awake brooding on how crappy it is. At this time of night you need to try move your thoughts away from this, whether by watching a little tv, listening to music or whatever.
Resting and getting some sleep tonight is important.

The world is not a nice place at the moment, when the Ukraine war broke out we hosted a young mother and her son, so lived it with her to a point, we all had a lot of fun together, but when her brother was injured on the front line, we had many days of sadness until we could fine out how he was.
The trauma of war can also effect those not directly involved, but those involved will never recover !!

Very true @MikeyBikey

One news item I saw around the anniversary of the start of the escalation in Gaza mentioned a horrifying figure of Palestinian child amputees created over the past year.

The whole situation is just heartbreaking all round. There are no winners, and it’s the ordinary people on both sides who are bearing the worst of it :(

Very true @MikeyBikey

One news item I saw around the anniversary of the start of the escalation in Gaza mentioned a horrifying figure of Palestinian child amputees created over the past year.

The whole situation is just heartbreaking all round. There are no winners, and it’s the ordinary people on both sides who are bearing the worst of it :(

I haven't put an emoji as none seem appropriate. After your reply I Googled it and the total number is far from clear like Covid deaths in the UK. Whilst some survive others die through blood loss and/or shock. One terrifying report describes of having to amputate without painkillers. Having been without painkillers a few times in the weeks after amputation and day after revision due to what one can politely describe as incompetence I know the pain is 11/10! One figure was 1000 in the first two months!

Back