Feeling awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaj

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Are there withdrawal symptoms from food items , ie butter and sugar?

Are there withdrawal symptoms from food items , ie butter and sugar?
No need to withdraw from butter, but if you cut carbohydrates too quickly then yes you can suffer some symptoms, it is often caused by dehydration as carbs hold on to fluids but when you reduce them you lose that fluid which is often why people can lose weight quite quickly in the first couple of weeks.
Stay hydrated but it is suggested you reduce carbs gradually over a few weeks, work out what carbs not just sugar you were having and reduce by a third for a couple of weeks, then another third etc until you get to where you need to be.
Make the carbs you have worth it for flavour and enjoyment.

I felt a bit rough when I went low carb, but it soon resolved itself in a month or so and I have felt great since then. It's just a change of diet, not withdrawal effects, IMHO.

The effects of changing diet were worse than the T2 diabetes I was diagnosed with, as I wasn't getting any symptoms. I had to go and sit down on a trip to IKEA. Then again, that might just have been the fact I was in IKEA.

Sorry to hear you've been feeling rough @eaj

Have you made rapid and significant changes to your menu? This can work well for some people, but others find it’s more successful to aim for more gradual reductions over a longer period.

What sorts of feelings / sensations have you been wrestling with? Has it been physical symptoms? Or is there a psychological/emotional aspect to it too do you think?

Hang in there. Change can be tricky to work through 🙂

I stopped eating 2 crumpets with lashings of butter a day (3/4 months) to get my cholesterol down - it worked. And cut right down on sugar to try and control the peaks and troughs. As you say, it was probably too drastic

I stopped eating 2 crumpets with lashings of butter a day (3/4 months) to get my cholesterol down - it worked. And cut right down on sugar to try and control the peaks and troughs. As you say, it was probably too drastic
Crumpets are surprisingly high carb given they are full of holes. A small crumpet 45g is about 17g carb.

It seems there are so many intricacies to food, it's effects and consequences. Diet for T2 and cholesterol seem to be at odds. Is there a definitive guide available? Ie Diet for Dummies x

Everybody is different but many find that by reducing carbs it has a beneficial effect on their cholesterol and the Low carb high fat should be interpreted as normal healthy fat and just not low fat.
Have a look at this link as there is good explanation and some do's and dont's, but is a low carb approach based on REAL food. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Don't forget you are only in the 'at risk' zone so modest changes are probably all that is needed.

Insulin does more than just push sugar into muscles, it also promotes the creation of fatty acids from body fat (And it's also involved in processes that involve muscles and protein). In a state of constant high insulin (Caused by Insulin resistance), this can increase cholesterol/trig levels. Refined carbs also increase cholesterol (And lowers HDL), along with saturated fats (Although it seems some foods don't have such an effect - some dairy, and some of the fats in dark chocolate.) High blood sugar also raises cholesterol and LDL. Hence why many T2D have low HDL, High LDL and high trigs.

Losing weight and cutting refined carbs should see massive improvements - i.e. replace refined carbs with carbs from vegetables and cut saturated fat. I tend to eat a diet of vegetables, lean meat, fish, eggs, nuts and fruit, and use olive oil for dressings/sauces and cooking.

Sugar causes a release of endorphins in the brain. These are your body’s natural opioids. It’s possible that your body craves these extra opioids when they’re gone, causing withdrawal. Sugar also causes a release of dopamine, which plays a major role in habit formation.

Everybody is different but many find that by reducing carbs it has a beneficial effect on their cholesterol and the Low carb high fat should be interpreted as normal healthy fat and just not low fat.
Have a look at this link as there is good explanation and some do's and dont's, but is a low carb approach based on REAL food. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Don't forget you are only in the 'at risk' zone so modest changes are probably all that is needed.

Thankyou Leadinglights: I'm finding that website is really helpful - out of panic mode now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back