Feeling a bit deflated

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodders1960

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, don't know if I'm being too strict but I'm really trying to get my numbers down using metformin and diet. I feel I'm doing really well. A couple of people at work really don't understand me. They say friends who are diabetic drink loads of alcohol and eat whatever they want. They said I don't need to cut carbs as that's what the metformin is for. Am I doing the right thing please?

Hi all, don't know if I'm being too strict but I'm really trying to get my numbers down using metformin and diet. I feel I'm doing really well. A couple of people at work really don't understand me. They say friends who are diabetic drink loads of alcohol and eat whatever they want. They said I don't need to cut carbs as that's what the metformin is for. Am I doing the right thing please?
You are doing the right thing, if you look up the treatment for Type 2 then the first thing it will say is meformin in conjunction with dietary changes. The metformin can only do so much. I think of it as being an overflowing sink (high blood glucose) which you can bail out (taking oral meds) but it will still overflow unless you turn the tap off (reducing carbs). No good still eating the foods which convert to glucose than the body can cope with. Many can reduce blood glucose by dietary changes only.
Don't forget those taking insulin can eat whatever they want as long as they match their insulin to the carbs they have so maybe the people at work's friends are Type 1 not Type 2.
I should take no notice and stick with what you are doing if it is being successful for you.

You are doing the right thing, if you look up the treatment for Type 2 then the first thing it will say is meformin in conjunction with dietary changes. The metformin can only do so much. I think of it as being an overflowing sink (high blood glucose) which you can bail out (taking oral meds) but it will still overflow unless you turn the tap off (reducing carbs). No good still eating the foods which convert to glucose than the body can cope with. Many can reduce blood glucose by dietary changes only.
Don't forget those taking insulin can eat whatever they want as long as they match their insulin to the carbs they have so maybe the people at work's friends are Type 1 not Type 2.
I should take no notice and stick with what you are doing if it is being successful for you.
I totally agree with your comment.

Thankyou so much for the brilliant explanation. It's hard enough, without people putting me down. I may use your example next time they start.

T2s can also opt to eat & drink what they want & some do. But there will be dire consequences for their long-term health. Don't waste your time/energy engaging with these morons. As Mark Twain said:

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level & beat you with experience." 😉

Ignore them, they are idiots.

Another vote for 'idiot'

They say friends who are diabetic drink loads of alcohol and eat whatever they want. ...
The following is obvious, meaning I agree with RBZ, Harbottle, and Tdm:

1) Drinking loads of alcohol is bad for anybody-- whether Type 2 diabetic or not.

2) Eating whatever you want is bad for anybody-- whether Type 2 diabetic or not-- *unless* you are the sort of person who likes healthy food and in reasonable amounts and doesn't like unhealthy food or excessive amounts of food.

Lose weight, get exercise, and ignore idiots; you'll be fine. ; )

One of the things about being T2 or simply 'at risk' as I am (well, hope I am, as in, hope I'm not sliding into T2!) is that we really don't need to tell anyone. If we are being careful about our diet, then we just say 'well, I'm looking to lose a bit of weight/not put on any weight, and be a bit healthier'. None of their business why we are eating healthier!!

As for saying 'oh, that's what your drugs are for, to enable you to eat unhealthily', well, that is beyond stupid.

Love the Mark Twain quote - must remember it. 🙂

(My fave MT quote is: 'One lawyer in a small town don't amount to much. But two can make a living.....'!)
(Cynical, I know, but....!)

And what state are those friends in?

I love how everyone is an expert on what I should eat when they have done little more than read a headline and talk to the man next door who is half way to the morgue because of his choices.

I guess these people expect you to behave like a Lemming even after seeing the cliff edge for yourself.

don't know if I'm being too strict
It's your health that you are taking care of.. if they knew you were alcoholic would they be encouraging you to drink alcohol.. just say "I'm attached to my eyes and toes thanks".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back