Feel strange following evening meal

LizG

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all
Just want to ask if anyone else feels strange after eating. Has been going on for a while now. I feel like I am going hypo but my bm says otherwise. Eg tonight bm was 6.5 took bolus ate tea and then wham feel peculiar. Just checked bm about an hour after eating its 13.8 but my insulin is still active obviously .

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
How long does it take to come back down again? Was it a very carby meal - wondering if it's a much higher spike sooner than an hour and you might try pre - bolusing, to see if you can avoid the spike?

LizG

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your reply. My meal was low in carbs really. Its remained slightly higher this evening last bm 10 mins ago was 12.8. I am quite undisciplined really as I tend to not eat very much at all during the day but have a meal in the evening so no balance really. Just feel a sort of hypo feeling even now. Feel really tired too but shouldn't be really .

leonS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Could it be that you have a mild infection? This can send BG into orbit as well as making you feel odd.

LizG

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your reply. My bm readings have generally been stable. They have been much better this past few weeks so I dont think I have an infection but thank you

leonS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good and thank you,

There is a period between being infected and the appence of symptoms. The body does not wait for pink spots (or whatever) to appear it just gets on with fighting the infection. One of the things that it does is to put BG up to give all the infection fighting bits the energy to do their jobs. This is worth knowing.

One of two things may happen. The infection is cured and all returns to normal (you think what was that all about), or the pink spots appear (you know what it was all about). This too is worth knowing.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @LizG,
from what I understand and have read some people feel hypo when they hit the hi numbers so suspect that's your problem.
You need to bolus at least 20 mins before you eat if using novo or Humalog, this is because it takes that long for the insulin to start working.
What are your blood sugars like at the 2 hours and 4 hours after eating? Also what are you eating to cause the spike? I ask because some meals many split the dosage to help out.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Rapid rises and falls in BG can trigger odd sensations I think. I often get much more profound symptoms when my BG is spiking or crashing

Rising over 7mmol/L in an hour is a pretty steep rise.

I think the suggestion of experimenting with prebolusing is well worth considering. :)

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
What did you actually eat?

I agree that timing of your bolus insulin injection is likely the problem. How long do you inject before eating?
I know I feel washed out as soon as my BG hits 10 these days and that is with just a steady rise but if your BG is rising very rapidly after eating then that will make you feel worse.
Injecting earlier before eating your food will give the insulin a chance to get working at about the same time as the glucose from the food hits your blood stream. Experiment with bringing it forward 5mins at a time. I need as much as an hour or sometimes more in the morning for NovoRapid (and about 45mins for Fiasp) before I eat breakfast and 20mins for the rest of the day but everyone is different so you need to experiment to find what is best for you.

It is worth also thinking about the type of carbs you are eating and if they are slower release or will be digested very rapidly ie mashed potato often hits the blood stream very quickly after eating whereas lentils will usually take longer.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I definitely feel a bit odd if I have a meal that gives me a big spike and I am not able to pre-Bolus, such as out for a meal. It is well worth looking int the timing of your insulin doses.