Feel Silly But Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faceman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've just been diagnosd with Diabetes. I'll be seeing the Diabetic Nurse on Monday, but I have so many questions, so many fears. My Fasting blood Level was 10mmols, and I know the normal is less than that. The Doctor told me when he gave me a random test the day before that more than likely my diabetes would be controlled by Diet & Tablet but the Diabetic Nurse didn't confirm this & it's worried me a lot! Now the silly thing is that I'm a qualified Mental health nurse who knows a little about Diabetes but not enough. Can anybody help. What are the chances that they'll put me on Insulin now? What sort of things food wise will I have to give up? Any help would be appreciated

Nigel

Usually, when first diagnosed, people get put on pills and diet or (as far as I've heard) only diet. When that doesn't seem to work, a switch to insulin could be made. So it's very likely you'll get pills to begin with.

Blood sugar levels should be between 4 and 9 or 10. Fasting level should be around 5 or 6, I suppose. That would be normal for someone without diabetes, so most of us don't make that. 10 is rather high, but not alarming. I had 19 when I was diagnosed (yes, fasting level) and according to my doctor then that wasn't enormously high either (eventhough I doubt that now).

As far as food is concerned, that's so different for everyone. Usually the first thing you'll hear is 'cut the carbs', but that's not the solution for everyone.
Personally I think you should get in touch with a dietrician (spelling?, sorry, I'm Dutch) and work with him/her on what works for you.
For example, I'm a vegetarian. Simply cutting carbs would give me too much fat in my diet, so that's not a solution for me. And, quite frankly, there's still a lot we don't know about food and who reacts in what way to which food. So don't let anyone tell you things as far as that goes, trial and error is the best way, is my experience.

Good luck!

Usually, when first diagnosed, people get put on pills and diet or (as far as I've heard) only diet. When that doesn't seem to work, a switch to insulin could be made. So it's very likely you'll get pills to begin with.

Blood sugar levels should be between 4 and 9 or 10. Fasting level should be around 5 or 6, I suppose. That would be normal for someone without diabetes, so most of us don't make that. 10 is rather high, but not alarming. I had 19 when I was diagnosed (yes, fasting level) and according to my doctor then that wasn't enormously high either (eventhough I doubt that now).

As far as food is concerned, that's so different for everyone. Usually the first thing you'll hear is 'cut the carbs', but that's not the solution for everyone.
Personally I think you should get in touch with a dietrician (spelling?, sorry, I'm Dutch) and work with him/her on what works for you.
For example, I'm a vegetarian. Simply cutting carbs would give me too much fat in my diet, so that's not a solution for me. And, quite frankly, there's still a lot we don't know about food and who reacts in what way to which food. So don't let anyone tell you things as far as that goes, trial and error is the best way, is my experience.

Good luck!

Oh thanks for that. My fasting blood was 10 & although I'm a nurse, although sensibility seems to have disappeared so I'm in a state of shock, worry and a feeling of unknown. It's great to know there's a support network and your post has calmed me a little. Thanks.

Quick question are you still on tablets?

Last edited:
Hi Faceman

I was diagnosed earlier this year. I've been put onto pills for the diabetes and for high blood pressure. I also have to lose weight.

I was feeling somewhat sh***y before, am now feeling great. Whatever the doctor is doing is doing me good. I am also regularly checked out by the Diabetes nurse, who will also share information and help me to understand what is going on.

Hopefully, you will be refered to go on to a 'DESMOND' course. It will help clarify a great deal.

I have also joined my local Diabetes Support Group. They have speakers who explain the whys etc. Most recently the speaker told us of research into Diabetes, and the previous speaker explained how the kidneys work with Diabetes. It does help to chat to people in the same boat.

Getting Diabetes has made me look at myself and to take positive lifestyle decisions. This is a wierd statement, but getting Diabetes is doing me good!!

Good luck

JOHN

Hi Faceman

I was diagnosed earlier this year. I've been put onto pills for the diabetes and for high blood pressure. I also have to lose weight.

I was feeling somewhat sh***y before, am now feeling great. Whatever the doctor is doing is doing me good. I am also regularly checked out by the Diabetes nurse, who will also share information and help me to understand what is going on.

Hopefully, you will be refered to go on to a 'DESMOND' course. It will help clarify a great deal.

I have also joined my local Diabetes Support Group. They have speakers who explain the whys etc. Most recently the speaker told us of research into Diabetes, and the previous speaker explained how the kidneys work with Diabetes. It does help to chat to people in the same boat.

Getting Diabetes has made me look at myself and to take positive lifestyle decisions. This is a wierd statement, but getting Diabetes is doing me good!!

Good luck

JOHN

Thanks John.

The more messages I read, the less worried I get. It just seems to be about losing weight and controlling my diet. Thank you all very much.

Nigel

Oh thanks for that. My fasting blood was 10 & although I'm a nurse, although sensibility seems to have disappeared so I'm in a state of shock, worry and a feeling of unknown. It's great to know there's a support network and your post has calmed me a little. Thanks.

Quick question are you still on tablets?

Yes, I am still on tablets. I've been diagnosed in October 2004 and have been on pills ever since then.

It's not so strange you feel this way. It is a shock, it is a life changing thing, it has a big impact and it's potentially dangerous (complications are possible). So, yeah, that makes you feel bad and scared, right?
I felt I had to go through some kind of mourning period before I could get up and do something about it.

I agree with John, it made me look at myself at well. Eventhough I'm still overweight, I have made quite a few positive changes. I believe that a positive attitude will make a big difference and knowing what diabetes is and how you can live with it helps big time.

Hi Faceman
I was 71 when diagnosed. Tablets and diet ; glucose levels seem within tolerance now.
I found this forum great. I honestly now wonder what I could get concerned about when I read about the probs and experiences of others here.
BTW my level was >31% when diagnosed having just been congratulated by a GP for losing weight. That was a symptom!!!!

Last edited:
hi faceman.i like u work in the health care setting and had some knowledge of diabetes but nothing that would prepare me for being diagnosed with it.i was diagnosed really by a collegue in work who noticed that i wasnt quite myself.tested my sugars and they were 17.9.got to the surgery that morn after night shift and they were up to 23.6..something like that..lol.was given a leaflet put on metformin and referred to diabetic clinic.i remember coming home and needing something to eat and looked at having cereal.panicked when i saw that it had sugar in it..then looked at baked beans and saw that there was sugar in those too and it seemed that everything i picked up had sugar in it and i was left thinking that my diet would be very basic but so not the case.its the foods with a high sugar content u need to avoid.you will through trial and error discover what foods work well for you.i started off on tablets but was later put on insulin but believe it or not i found it easier to control my sugar levels on insulin than i did when on tablets.i wish this site had been around for me when diagnosed.ive learned so much from this site.everyone is helpful with a story to tell and have been exactly where you are right now.
best wishes to you

Hi Faceman,

I'll tell you my story because it seems similar to yours and no doubt is similar to many other people's in here. About two years ago I went to the opticians for a normal checkup as I felt I needed to change my glasses, the optician suggested I should see my doc as the capillaries in my retina looked a little "distressed". As a result of this I had a fasting test done, which came out as 7. The clinic put me on their books but said the level was probably due to a surfeit of Christmas pudding etc. So, I followed their advice and started eating more healthily, but not understanding the significance of diabetes I lapsed quite often. My next hba1c was 5.8, so I essentially ignored their advice and declared myself as obviously not diabetic. Time passed, and my last hba1c three months ago was 7.9 - not good! So, I took it seriously and cut out as much sugar as possible, cut out hard fats (e.g. when eating ham, make sure you remove any white fat from around the edges), looked at labels and took the lowest saturated fat option, and, perhaps most importantly, started exercising. I've just had another hba1c done and I'm down to 6.5, which is good. I reckon I could get it lower if I cut down on my only vice which is white wine - I admit that I drink too much of the stuff.

Exercise - I went from none to walking 2 mile a day, about 45 miniutes and this has made a great deal of difference. Combined with the diet I have lost 7 kilos.

So, the moral of the story is don't get too worked up about it and do as the nurse tells you right from day one and there should be no reason why you won't drop from 10 to a decent level using diet and exercise alone.

HTH,

Neil.

Guys

Thank you for all your stories and reassurances. It's quite different when you're on the other side treating people but when suddenly you join that side things become so much difference. I was quite emotional last night but now I'm seeing Diabetes as an opportunity to enjoy and live my life how I should be instead of seeing it as a crippling disability.

I really appreciate your thoughts, best wishes & good luck and I think i'm going to have fun talking to people who can help and support me and who knows maybe in a few months time, I can do the same for someone else.🙂

Another question what sort of things can I eat? I love chocolates, biscuits and cakes but I know I've got to cut them out but what about things like Bread, Crisps, Fish & Chips. I've read so much that it's confusing me.

Many thanks

Nigel

Last edited:
Hi Faceman. It's a bit of a shaker isn't it? Hard to get your head around at first. I was diagnosed just over 2 weeks ago, after a fasting level of 17!

I'd be pleased to see levels of about 10! I'm still getting 12 - 14, but the meds (Metformin) have not had long enough to work yet.

Good luck

I am type 2 and have been on diet and exercise only for nearly 4 years.

hi, i know how you feel, i have been there for 3 weeks now, it gets easier and less of a shock believe me. to begin with it it seemed to me as if everyone round you is just being supportive and saying stuff like hey its not a big deal. but when its your body it is a big deal! i had a major rant and told everyone that. im sure with your profession and experience you will know far more than alot of us very soon. cant tell you alot about diabetes as i am so newly diagnosed but i can tell you it gets easier to understand and when its less new it becomes less scarey.

i have bread everyday faceman usually in form of a sarnie and do have crisps now and then.i am more strict with what i eat these days as i through personel choice lost alot of weight and dont want to gain it back but i do have a treat of fish and chips now and then and chinese too.as for the chocolate well thats the 1 thing i love but now and then il allow myself a little bit.i buy rich tea biscuits and usually have those with a cuppa before bed.like i said that works for me but may not work for you..i know from messages on here that some people dont eat bread as it seems to raise their sugars.im sure ul find in time what will work for you🙂

Hi Faceman,

I'm afraid that some previous posts have been a little on the high side regarding what is normal i.e. what a non diabetic would experience. Here's the results of a study that was carried out by Professor J. S. Christiansen on non diabetics (Presented at the EASD meeting 2006).

Time from start (min)......Blood Sugar State......Glucose Level (mmol/L)
...........0............................Fasting..........................4.4
...........45....................Post challenge peak................6.9
...........75......................Post peak level....................5.5
..........145....................Return to normal...................4.4

You can find details of the study in Jenny Ruhl's book “Diabetes 101 - What They Don't Tell You About Diabetes – Page 14” It is stocked by Amazon. It is possible to get near normal control by following a protocol that is detailed in the above book.

Last edited:
Just been to see the Diabetic Nurse & she's told me that for the moment just diet & exercise and see how I get on. Excellent news. Also had my BM done and it was 5.5 mmols as a fasting one, so I'm really pleased at the moment.:D

Good news.
Not always easy to stick to diet and exercise this time of year but well worth it if you can control without drugs.

Hey, faceman, 5.5 fasting level is really good! Very good to read that. I hope diet and excercise will work for you.

Another question what sort of things can I eat? I love chocolates, biscuits and cakes but I know I've got to cut them out but what about things like Bread, Crisps, Fish & Chips. I've read so much that it's confusing me.

I think a dietician's advice can be very helpful for you - or getting a good book or two - try the recipies section where we've discussed cookery books, or the book review section. try the NHS branded book I recommended in the thread in recipes as it is both an introduction to diet changes and an overview of diabetes and what to expect. I found it helpful initially in both areas. It does things like lists what you might eat in a day, then shows how you could improve it by making lower GI choices.

We've swapped our bread over to Burgen Soy and Lindseed, on the understanding multigrain bread is superior to wholemeal as it has a lower GI rating. Hovis, I think, also make a multigrain bread, as do whatever the brand is they sell in Aldi, but the Burgen one is nice and light to eat, not heavy at all. The Aldi bread is the cheapest of the 3, but nowhere near as good as Burgen.

Chips - go for oven chips rather than fried. As for fish - I tend to read the packets when buying to cook at home for my husband, as a veggie I'm not sure I can really comment.

If you like to make "fry ups" you can get "turkey rashers" which are a bacon substitute made by Bernard Matthews. They are sold alongside the bacon in the chiller cabinet at my local supermarket. I grill them rather than frying.
________
DEMEROL REHAB ADVICE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back