Feel sick just looking at the tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoneybun85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I am in a bit of a pickle, for a about a year now I’ve just started to feel sick…even thinking about and even looking at my tablets I’ve got to take…which in turn has lead me to be quite bad at taking them.

Every time I look at my pill box I put my tablets on the side and I have to build myself up to take them…I’ve got to breathe as I start to feel sick and I get a tingly feeling at the bottom of my tongue.

I’ve never had this before has anyone else developed it and if so what did they do to overcome/manage it?

Thanks

Hi @Shoneybun85 Do you think that a possible cause could be to do with subconsciously finding it hard to accept your diabetes? So, the tablets become a kind of focus of your emotions? What I’d do is try to not think about what the tablets are for, just see them as some little things to toss back into your mouth and swallow before you get on with the rest of your day. Maybe even buy a new pill box to mark a fresh start?

I’m on insulin but I do take a number of vitamins. I used to laboriously swallow them one by E and focus on each one, now I just give them a quick glance to confirm, then toss them back with a gulp of water. If they’re smallish, I can swallow 3 or 4 at a time. I’ve got it into quite a knack. This is speaking as someone who used to struggle to swallow a single tablet. Sometimes the more you focus and agonise, the worse it is. Toss them back while thinking of the fun things you’re about to door will be doing in the next few days.

Hi @Shoneybun85 Do you think that a possible cause could be to do with subconsciously finding it hard to accept your diabetes? So, the tablets become a kind of focus of your emotions? What I’d do is try to not think about what the tablets are for, just see them as some little things to toss back into your mouth and swallow before you get on with the rest of your day. Maybe even buy a new pill box to mark a fresh start?

I’m on insulin but I do take a number of vitamins. I used to laboriously swallow them one by E and focus on each one, now I just give them a quick glance to confirm, then toss them back with a gulp of water. If they’re smallish, I can swallow 3 or 4 at a time. I’ve got it into quite a knack. This is speaking as someone who used to struggle to swallow a single tablet. Sometimes the more you focus and agonise, the worse it is. Toss them back while thinking of the fun things you’re about to door will be doing in the next few days.
Could quite possible be that because when I take painkillers I don’t have the same effect.

I thought it may well be the amount I’m taking as I’m taking 10 tablets in the morning. I don’t think the pill box would make a difference to be honest. I do break the tablets up so I’m taking 2-3 at a time but it doesn’t make a difference. Mind over matter just need to be a bit more head strong I think.

With 10 tablets, I’d split them down into maybe three lots. Then I’d toss back the first lot, pause for a few seconds to think about something nice, toss the second lot and repeat, then the third. Yes, psychology is important, whether that be a pretty pill box or a special glass or mug for the water, or somewhere nice to stand to take them. Sounds trivial but it can help.

I'm with @Inca, if you can disassociate the pills from the illness then that might help.

I can get six pills down at once, including metformin horse pills and tamsulosin capsules. In your case I would be experimenting to see if I could arrange the pills so I could get them down in two lots or maybe all in one go. No good reason other than dissociating the pills from the things they were being taken for by setting myself another puzzle to solve.

PS...can anybody on here get down more than six pills in one go? What's the record?

Not sure if this is any help, but when one is trying to get the elderly, for example, to take meds, the nurse recommended putting the pill in a spoon, then crushing it with the back of another spoon (convex into concave), then putting a dollop of icecream on to the pill powder, mixing it up a bit, and then getting the patient to swallow it. Ice cream might not be ideal in respect of diabetes, but possibly a soft cheese like mascapone or ricotta perhaps?

Ah, hadn't thought of that - good point.

Shoneybun, do you think your block is physical - it can be physically tricky to swallow pills, and you may fear gagging or choking. Or you may fear their side effects?

Or it could be, as suggested, 'psychological' in that it is to do with your underlying resistance (resentment) that you NEED the pills in the first place (a form of emotional denial??)

I'm only throwing out some possible reasons, none of which may apply. But 'something' is blocking you, and until you can identify it the reluctance may well remain??

How many can you take in one go? I can do 10 at once including massive metformin pills. Do it with a big drink and get them over with, without giving yourself time to think about it or to build up to taking them perhaps?

How many can you take in one go? I can do 10 at once including massive metformin pills. Do it with a big drink and get them over with, without giving yourself time to think about it or to build up to taking them perhaps?
That is impressive, I can manage one, I have only just managed not to have to break a paracetamol in half to be able to swallow it without choking.

Interesting that you don't seem to have the same difficulties with painkillers @Shoneybun85

Hope you can find a method that works for you.

Concealing in food is an old-fashioned trick to get reluctant pets to swallow tablets. My dogs have no such qualms - they actively come up to get them on 'tablet day' as if they were treats! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back