feel like a moan

Status
Not open for further replies.

litto-miss-loz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hey folks

needin a moan so here i go

was workin at 9 today and never got my break until half past 2 !
from 1pm i kept asking my supervisor if i could go my break and she is like "can u hang on for now" because she was short staffed so me being nice said yes and had to take a few jelly babies to keep me going... then 2pm came and still no break then it was half past two " and i stormed out of work and went home for my lunch because i didnt want to sit in that dam place!!!!!!

grrrrrr no1 understands what we need and go through

anyway i might be exagerating a bit but just had to share it with my fellow diabetics :D

over and out

They'd have been even shorter staffed if you'd keeled over from a hypo! Employers have an obligation to make reasonable provision for people with diabetes, so you should have been allowed your break - busy or not!

i had the same problem with my last job.

Start at 9, don't get a break til 3. Start at 10 (finish at 6), no break til 4 or 5

It's disgusting the way some employers deal with this.

I had a few very serious hypos at work due to lack of breaks

Under the DDA your employer has to make reasonable adjustment for your break and meal requirements.

The statutory (minimum) legal position for all employees is that for each 6 hour or part thereafter of shift the employee works, they are entitled to a 20 minute break, this cannot be at the start or end of the working day or accumulated by the employer. This is the minimum statutory break and may be longer and more frequent as defined in your contract of employment.

'Reasonable adjustment' means that the employer is aware of your need for a break due to health grounds and therefore should in all except true emergencies cover or allow you to take your break within the time frame to allow you to eat and/or take medication.

If you work in an office or shop and there isn't suitable cover, the reasonable adjustment is to close the office, shop or department for the duration of your break.

Your employer cannot make you stay at work or split your break into shorter segments, similarly if you were entitled to two 30 minute breaks, your employer doesn't have to let you take them as one 60 minute break or take them at the end of your working day or the beginning of the day.

You should make it clear to your employer and management how important it is for your health, control and medication that you take your break within a given time frame. They cannot discipline you for needing to take your break under the DDA.

Hope you're ok this evening, worth keeping up your sleeve for the future.

Hey Loz, sorry you had a bad time at work:( Hope you get your break at a better time from now on! Glad you had a few jelly babies with you, it may be worth trying to explain it all to your super again?

Sounds like you could do with a voddy or glass of wine😉

They'd have been even shorter staffed if you'd keeled over from a hypo! Employers have an obligation to make reasonable provision for people with diabetes, so you should have been allowed your break - busy or not!

exactly i might have ended up in hosp then they would of had to have dropped everything to help me, thats if they would even notice that i had collapsed!!!

i had the same problem with my last job.

Start at 9, don't get a break til 3. Start at 10 (finish at 6), no break til 4 or 5

It's disgusting the way some employers deal with this.

I had a few very serious hypos at work due to lack of breaks

yeah ano its shocking!!! it usually doesnt happen in my work but i hate how because we were short staffed i have to suffer. it isnt my fault that we were short staffed... i cant go changing everything when it suits them.

Hey Loz, sorry you had a bad time at work:( Hope you get your break at a better time from now on! Glad you had a few jelly babies with you, it may be worth trying to explain it all to your super again?

Sounds like you could do with a voddy or glass of wine😉

hey rossi, yes i will defo speak to my supervisor and let my manager know on monday because she understands that i need my break so she can explain to the supervisor aswell 🙂

yes a double vodka please :D

Start at 7:15 and usually don't get lunch break until 14:00, then back work for less than an hour and home time. If I need to go before then though I will.
I think where you went wrong was saying you didn't mind hanging on. If you were up front and said that you really needed to take your lunch I'm sure they would have let you. I hope that you can explain things to your boss and come to some joint understanding.

Start at 7:15 and usually don't get lunch break until 14:00, then back work for less than an hour and home time. If I need to go before then though I will.
I think where you went wrong was saying you didn't mind hanging on. If you were up front and said that you really needed to take your lunch I'm sure they would have let you. I hope that you can explain things to your boss and come to some joint understanding.

yeah it probs was my fault

SOmetimes i think we don't make anough fuss. I used to work in a shop, I always got the standing position because some of the others claimed they could not stand for long periods. Because I was standing I used to just shut the till I was on and go for break. In the end (after about 6 months) I got another job and said one of the reaasons I was leaving was having to stand up ALL of the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back