Feel Blessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hepato-pancreato

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Doctor prescribed me the Libre 2, Updated my blood glucose meter just lowered the amount of test strips to 100 a month. Amazed at the convienience of the libre 2. Diabetes nurse informed me that the libre is now allowed by the dvla to test before you drive. I urge anyone who would benefit from the libre 2 to ask their gp to prescribe it for them. The reason i feel blessed is i am under the impression that some gp's are reluctant to prescribe!

I had a bit of trouble getting mine, however it wasn’t my GP who prescribed it, they said it has to be signed off by the consultant who deals with you, not sure if that’s the same everywhere but I think this can cause a hold up for some folks.

My diabetes team at the hospital I am under got me onto Libre 2 in August - it has been a real game changer! Just love all the information I am now getting and starting to experiment with bolus timing to reduce spikes and seeing what foods do what to my BG. Brilliant technology!

All T1 patients should be offered Libre or equivalent, but as @EmmaL76 says, it may be that the consultant has to sign off on it. Mine got me on the free trial and once I had confirmed I had been on the Abbott training they wrote to my GP to ask for it to be added to my repeat prescription. I was told that my GP Health Centre don’t have primary care for T1 patients which is why I was referred to the hospital team.

I am type 3c. Didn't matter as treatment same as type 1. was prescribed mine on the spot. Was told libre 3 is coming out next month apparently.

I am type 3c. Didn't matter as treatment same as type 1. was prescribed mine on the spot. Was told libre 3 is coming out next month apparently.
Libre 3 has been available on prescription since earlier this year.
According to NICE recommendations, the qualifications for Libre 3 are stricter than Libre 2 (and Libre 1 although this is coming to the end next month) and are the same as the Dexcom G6 (or G7).

Regarding whether GP or consultant is able to prescribe Libre 2, I think this changed when the latest NICE recommendations were published in March/April. As my consultant had already prescribed it, this change did not affect me. That said, from my dealings wit the DSN at my GP surgery, I am not sure if they know how to spell "Type 1".

As you are a new Libre user, Hepato, I strongly recommend being aware of its limitations. It is not the end of all finger pricks.
- some of us find that it takes some time for our bodies to becoe familiar with an alien object in our arm and the readings on the first 24 to 48 hours could be a bit off. For this reason, it is common to apply your next sensor a day or two early to allow it to bed in.
- Libre is calibrated to be most accurate at "normal BG" which is between around 4 and 9 mmol/l. Outside this range, the readings can be a bit unpredictable. Therefore, the recommendation is to check highs and lows with a finger prick before treating (unless you are experiencing a nasty hypo, obviously).
- CGMs like Libre read interstitial fluid rather than blood. Interstitial Fluid readings are about 10 to 15 minutes behind blood readings. The algorithm Libre uses for the conversion "predicts" the current reading by extrapolating the current trend. This is great most of the time but can be misleading if the direction of the trend changed in the last 15 minutes. The common example is when you have treated a hypo - Libre can report that you are going lower (because that is the way the trend was going 15 minutes ago) when you have actually started to recover.
- Libre (and Dexcom ONE) are "factory calibrated". Unfortunately, some of us seem to react differently to "factory man" so it appears inaccurate. If you are technically minded, there are alternative, unofficial apps (I used xDrip+) that use a different algorithm which allows calibration. The added advantage of these apps is that they can hi-jack the BLuetooth signal used for alarms. This signal contains the current readings so you do not have to scan the sensor.
- Some sensor are faulty. If your sensor is a long way out or reports an error (not the "try again in 10 minutes" one), Abbott will replace them. It is some time since I used LIbre but I would always phone them (their 0800 number is on the box and their website). Just because you get them "for free" on prescription, it is still advised to get Abbott to replace them. There is no reason for the tax payer to pay for faulty kit. The NHS is struggling with funds as it is.

I think there is one more point but I can't remember it. These have all been mentioned many times before on the forum.

Doctor prescribed me the Libre 2, Updated my blood glucose meter just lowered the amount of test strips to 100 a month. Amazed at the convienience of the libre 2. Diabetes nurse informed me that the libre is now allowed by the dvla to test before you drive. I urge anyone who would benefit from the libre 2 to ask their gp to prescribe it for them. The reason i feel blessed is i am under the impression that some gp's are reluctant to prescribe!
Make sure you read and understand the rules for testing regarding driving, otherwise you could come unstuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back