1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Fed up

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by Starlight, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Starlight

Starlight Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    Hey type 1 for about 2 n half years and i am fed up with it! ever just wish there was a way you could just get rid and be normal? been to see the nurse today and suggested seeing a councillor, don't think i have ever got my head around being diabetic... how did everyone else deal with the change?
    I struggle remembering to check my bloods and take insulin as i run my own business have 3 kids 2 dogs and a house to run so life is manic i never stop to take time to think about my diabetes its easier to push it to the bank of the mind ( i know not the attitude to have and i lecture myself daily) but then can't get my head around of the "why me" question
    please tell me im not on my own with this one xx

2. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hello from another Type 1 here, a little longer than you think I was 54 years last September :)

No your not on your own there are many who either don't come to terms with it or blame many things.
    T1 is an autoimmune disease (I hate using that word) where something triggers and immune response and your ever so helpful immune system nukes your beta cells. Happened to us all at some point.

Unfortunately it is just one of those things that wont go away and am sure you are aware that if you ignore it, it will come back to bit you hard, not tomorrow more like many years down the line.
    I think a counselling would be good also maybe see if there are any groups or other T1 ones around the place near you, it is always good to meet up and talk, also there is Twitter and Instagram that has many T1 communities on there.

And yes I would love to be able to park T1 one even for a 1 day, but alas I can't. Still does not stop me :)

Toucan likes this.
  3. Starlight

Starlight Member

Type 1
    Hi I know yea i want to get it sorted and under control as im only 28yr so i don't want my health deteriorate because of poor control but its a vicious circle and very hard to get out of when you are fighting against yourself... No one in my family or friends know much or have anything to do with diabetes so its so hard trying to talk to someone about it who have no experience, i will have a look on twitter and instagram as i never knew there was communities on there for diabetics so thanks for that really handy to know :) it is so much easier talking to people who are either in the same boat as you or been there before! a magic want to get rid of it completely would be amazing haha but we can all dream :) x

Schrodinger likes this.
  4. Thebearcametoo

Thebearcametoo Well-Known Member

Parent
    I’m sorry you’re feeling out of control with it all. I think when you already have a busy life and a lot of responsibilities it can be difficult to put your own well-being at the fore. Is there someone who can help remind you at meal times to check you levels and take your insulin? Would an alarm on your phone help? Many people struggle with remembering med routines and you're not alone. If counselling is on offer then I would take it as having an hour just about YOU in your busy life is worth it.

Schrodinger and bernobeys like this.
  5. Kaylz

Kaylz Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I'm turning 28 in just under a week and will have been diagnosed 3 years in 4 days time

I accepted it straight away but the struggles that came with it has been devastating, less than a month after I was diagnosed with my first related eye problems (diabetic macular oedema) which I've had numerous injections for, then last year I required lasering to both eyes for proliferative retinopathy even though I've had good hba1c's so to work hard and still suffer is horrendous

Counselling may help, I was offered help and went on a waiting list as I started suffering an eating disorder in 2017. I was on that list a year before I ever saw anyone and had to decline further sessions as I couldn't do the 6 hour round trip every fortnight so I struggled through by myself

Set alarms etc for testing, depending on the meter you have you may be able to set an alarm on it
    xx

6. bernobeys

bernobeys New Member

Parent
    @Starlight You are certainly not on your own. The fact that you have a clear sense of the worry and are in this forum where people are ready to help shows that there is hope. Don't give up dear.

Starlight and Schrodinger like this.
  7. everydayupsanddowns

everydayupsanddowns Moderator

Type 1
    Hello @Starlight

welcome to the forum!

It certainly isn’t unusual to struggle to come to terms with diabetes and counselling could be a really good way of starting to unpack things. Some people liken diagnosis with a long term condition to a form of grieving.

Your feelings are valid, and you have every right to feel the way you do. Unfortunately diabetes is just the card you’ve been dealt. Now it’s up to you to play that hand as well as you can.

You certainly seem busy! But that busyness speaks of someone who is capable, organised and can handle a certain amount of pressure and chaos thrown into life’s mix. These are skills that will serve you well with your diabetes.

I’ve been running my own business for 15 years and have a family and dog, so I know it’s not always easy to put yourself first, but I am confident you can find a way to make your diabetes fit with you, rather than the other way around.

keep us posted and always feel free to rant an moan here with folks who will instinctively ‘get it’.

8. Starlight

Starlight Member

Type 1
    Wow thanks so much everyone for all your support its amazing, so nice to know theres others out there, I have a partner who supports me in the best way he can but works long hours so not always around for meal times, will defo try the alarm for meal times and see how that works out. I have rang the councelling and got a telephone session booked so will see how that goes also, been talking a lot more about it today with you guys on here a friend and my partner so defo feel a little more at ease and better about it all, (and very emotional) its surprising how much you block out! :) hopefully one day there will be a cure but for now thinking of number 1 is top priority :D xx

9. Starlight

Starlight Member

Type 1

Wow so sorry to hear the struggle you have been through! can't believe they made you wait a year!! then for it not to be local to home is appalling :( will defo try the alarms and see how that pans out, have you managed to get through it all now? xx

10. Kaylz

Kaylz Well-Known Member

Type 1
    unfortunately not, I still struggle greatly at times with my eating but as I've managed to gain weight it isn't so much of a problem to anyone xx

11. Starlight

Starlight Member

Type 1
    Ahh no way sorry to hear that life sucks at times doesn’t it! I’m terrible with food I snack on all the wrong things and find myself making meals full of carbs then neglect my diabetes massively not taking insulin.. then get angry at myself for it viscous circle! X

12. Kaylz

Kaylz Well-Known Member

Type 1
    it's fine, I'm used to feeling like I'm on my own and dealing with it myself so yes it frustrates me but hey ho, I hope you manage to turn things around :) xx

13. louloulou

louloulou Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hi you are not alone everyone on here are fantastic support I can recommend counseling as had it myself Louise

14. Sally W

Sally W Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I feel your pain as I love carbs too! What has helped me is batch cooking and freezing healthy meals and finding alternative ways os enjoying similar foods. I make jams; pickles; pizza; risotto etc but it is time consuming. I tell myself it’s worth the effort to enjoy eating what I fancy. I’m not a steak or chop person. Enjoy food but please don’t neglect your health. Odd treats I have too but want to live a long and healthy life.

15. AJLang

AJLang Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I know that it is easy to think why me. I’ve done that quite a bit in recent years due to collecting a number of illnesses most of which aren’t diabetes related. Then I started thinking “why not me” as in why shouldn’t it be me, Lots of other people have these illnesse so why not me. But on the diabetes side I’ve had it for 48 years since I was 2 and the number of times I’ve wanted it to go on holiday for a while. But it’s not going, it’s not going to disappear and as much as we would love a cure I’m not expecting one. But I’ve had a fantastic life with diabetes and I intend to have lots more fun. My way with it is set some basic ground rules - ALWAYs do your injections when you’re meant to, count carbs and when this is difficult do your best to learn how to guess your carbs. Blood glucose tests take less than a minute, you can do them whilst cooking or working and correct as necessary. Yes there is lots more that you could do but please try to do the basics because diabetes can bite badly. Most of all have fun, life’s to short.