Fears

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlisonM

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
[VENT] I have to admit I'm deeply concerned about the likelihood of going on insulin. Not because I'm afraid of needles at all, I'm not really sure what the problem is actually. Perhaps it's because, looking at it from the outside, taking insulin seems so much more complicated than popping a few pills every day, which I know is daft. Also, it feels like I've let the side down somehow, or I've lost a battle. I think I may be still looking at myself as a Type 2 who 'should' be able to get things under control and manage the Diabetes with diet and exercise as I was told at the start and I've never really got my head around the notion that this won't ever happen.

In my head I realise that all this is nonsense. It doesn't matter which type you are, it's always complicated and I know I'll get used to the new way of things as I did the old. I'm just stressing out as usual.

I do know I'd be in far worse case if it weren't for you lot. You help me so much every day, just knowing I can come in here and vent when I need to is a huge help. [/VENT]

Alison hun dont feel like you have let anyone down, i felt the exact same i felt a failure that the pills had not worked and i had to go onto byetta but i reallised i have let no one down i just needed that extra bit of help,you know as well as all of us, anything you are worried about or scared over just come on here and chat to us, things always seem better when you talk to someone who knows exactly what your going through...

Hi Alison, it seems personally very reasonable that you should feel this way after the difficulties you have experienced with both your treatment and diagnosis. Something I have gathered from reading the many threads on here over the past couple of years is that, in some ways, treatment with insulin is more difficult, in other ways simpler than tablets. The tablets come with all sorts of uncertainties and you have no real control if you get poorly and your levels rise - indeed, you may even have to stop taking tablets as was the case with your metformin. Other tablets can be very unpredictable in their effect, like the gliclazide causing hypos because of the fickle productions of your pancreas.

I can understand how people might feel that they have perhaps not taken advantage of a chance to avoid medications or insulin, but again this sometimes simply isn't down to how dedicated you are.

What I would say about insulin is that it can sound terribly complicated, but once you get a good base of experience it becomes far less of a problem - and this seems to be particularly true of people diagnosed later in life, like me. The greatest difficulties appear to be for people who have received little or no education, have not been treated well at the transition from childhood to adulthood, or are unfortunate enough to have very unpredictable reactions to insulin.

Aww Alison, big hugs. I think it's the medics who make us feel that we are to blame when things don't work out, I feel similar about the statin saga. That has shown me though that we are all different, some things work for some people - maybe even most people, but if it doesn't work for you then nothing you can do will make it work. Our bodies are such complex things and even the so called experts can't make head nor tail of it all quite often.

When you are told "this is how it's going to be" then it's really hard if it doesn't turn out like that, I was told "these statins are going to protect you" but in fact I've been so ill I may not be able to take them. I wasn't prepared for that and in the same way you aren't prepared for the diet and exercise not to work for you. You think "why" "what did I do wrong" "it works for others so why not me?" Even though your brain knows it's nonsense your emotions are all up and down and that's why you feel as you do.

Insulin may be the best thing ever for you but at the moment it seems like it was never meant to be like this. I do understand because it's a horrible feeling.

I hope it helps to know you aren't on your own and I'm sure others will be along with reassurance too.

Be good to yourself and take care.xx

((((hugs)))

Please dont feel you have failed. You have tried your best - it's all anyone can do, and I think you were in a no win situation anyway:(. We all get our own ideas about certain drugs and other health matters. I found it really hard at first give K correction doses because it felt like we'd failed her by giving her the wrong dose for the previous meal, and also it felt to me like the more insulin she had the more 'sick'she was (like when you have to have extra pain killers or increase the dose of blood pressure pills).

You may find insulin more complicated, you may not but I would guess you will end up feeling 'better' (most of the time!). And it does get less complicated as time goes on (or so they tell me😉

Hope it works out for you soon

I can't add anything to what's already been said, so just a big (((HUG))) to you.

Insulin is nothing to worry about ok it does take a little while to get used to but think how much better you will feel. I think its normal to feel a bit worried about any new med you will be fine. Any concerns and we are always here for you. Take care
gail

I can echo what everyone else says.. I felt exactly the same in april when I started on insulin after only being diagnosed since january.

We can only control our bodies so far before we need medical intervention and its not our fault.

Stay positive and try and accept what is happening... it makes your life so much easier after acceptance

x

What I would say about insulin is that it can sound terribly complicated, but once you get a good base of experience it becomes far less of a problem - and this seems to be particularly true of people diagnosed later in life, like me. The greatest difficulties appear to be for people who have received little or no education, have not been treated well at the transition from childhood to adulthood, or are unfortunate enough to have very unpredictable reactions to insulin.
A big second to what Alan said.
Like him I had no run in, just straight onto insulin but I was scared stiff because of the limited knowledge I had of type 1.
It really hasn't been bad at all and though life now involves a bit of calculating and testing, that becomes second nature and it hasn't made much difference to the quality of my life, probably improved it because I've been determined from the start, not to let it beat me.

I can't add anything to what's already been said, so just a big (((HUG))) to you.

Same from me.

Got my fingers crossed that the insulin helps to improve control. Best of luck!

Alison big hugs from me too.....xxx

I felt very similar as intially they didnt know what type I was and started me on meds, orals and I felt like a failure when I was started on insulin. I dont know if thats just how I felt, or how I was made to feel by the professionals around me, but it was such a downer. Only a year later did I have my bloods done which confirmed I was T1, but it was hard regardless of type, just like you said.

You're a strong person Alison, keep your pecker up. Hopefully you will feel better on Insulin. Its a long road, but you are steps ahead from the tings you will have learned on here I promise.

Big hugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back