Fear of finger pricking

Status
Not open for further replies.

taenciaga

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I really need to be able to check my sugar levels but I'm afraid to do the finger prick with the needle. I was afraid before but I actually did it twice and it wasn't painful but suddenly I'm scared again. Does this happen with anyone else? How do you get over it? I'm so frustrated with myself.

Yes it does seem alien to hurt yourself.
I didn’t relish the thought of pricking my fingers several times a day but you get used to it after a while. I cannot offer an easy way out it other than using a CGM ( eg Libre) but not all Type 2 diabetics are offered this.
Others here might be able to offer advice ; they are very knowledgeable.
In the meantime persevere and good luck.

I found that Accu-Chek FastClix pens and cylindrical cartridges each containing six shrouded needles were the least painful for finger pricks. You can choose between 11 depth settings.
The FastClix cartridges come in boxes of 34, curiously called "200+4" needles.
You may need to 'encourage' your doctor to prescribe them, because they are somewhat more expensive (because better engineered!) than the usual rubbish ones which they try to foist off on you!
Although it is not recommended by the manufacturers, it has been known for diabetic persons to re-use the same needle a few times, thus prolonging the life of a cartridge.

Are you using the side of your fingers?? Less nerve endings. I was advised don’t use the pad of your fingers new needle every time. Hope this helps hubby hates doing them as he said hurt but now he uses side of finger it’s easier.

@taenciaga sorry to read about your finger pricking fear.
As others have said, making yourself bleed does seem a weird thing to do when you think about it. Your fear is logical

Do you know what it is that you fear most?
Is is the fear of pain or the blood or the results or something else?

I am just thinking that if you can focus on the reason for your fear you may be able to address that. For example, many people the FastClix pricker is less painful. Or there are some creams that temporary numb the area. Or you can reduce the prick depth to produce less blood.

I found that Accu-Chek FastClix pens and cylindrical cartridges each containing six shrouded needles were the least painful for finger pricks. You can choose between 11 depth settings.
The FastClix cartridges come in boxes of 34, curiously called "200+4" needles.
You may need to 'encourage' your doctor to prescribe them, because they are somewhat more expensive (because better engineered!) than the usual rubbish ones which they try to foist off on you!
Although it is not recommended by the manufacturers, it has been known for diabetic persons to re-use the same needle a few times, thus prolonging the life of a cartridge.
I have the Accuchek FastClix lancing device and I reuse each needle multiple times such that a single cartridge has lasted over a year and I'm still only slightly into the box of cartridges - which will last me a lifetime. The lancing device is sturdy (well made) and can be attached to the Accuchek meter if you wish, but works totally as desired if unattached.

I confirm the multitude of depth settings means it can give me a drop of blood with no pain. I struggle to get blood when my hands are cold, there are techniques to help with that without needing to increase the depth setting; it's a matter of warm hands and stimulated blood flow (eg a god shake) not extra depth.

Sing to yourself, or even better sing out loud while you press the plunger!! Your brain is over thinking this wayyyyy too much so you need a distraction.

Singing or sometimes just counting out loud gives your brain something else to focus on and, contrary to popular belief, humans are not good multi-taskers and can generally only cope with one thing at a time!

We were always taught to sing if we got nervous with the horses. It has an immediate calming effect if you’re tense.

I absolutely hate doing it, its causes bruising and my fingers hurt and sting for a good while after I do have a CGM but still requires checking as there not very accurate in my case, Ive trend the sides but it still hurts and the palm of my hand, the fleshy bit neat the thumb sorry i cant suggest anything that can help but your not alone.

I absolutely hate doing it, its causes bruising and my fingers hurt and sting for a good while after I do have a CGM but still requires checking as there not very accurate in my case, Ive trend the sides but it still hurts and the palm of my hand, the fleshy bit neat the thumb sorry i cant suggest anything that can help but your not alone.
If it bruises, it is likely that you are pricking too deep or that your hands are not warm enough.
I try to warm my fingers around a cup of tea (coffee probably works just as well provided it is not iced) which brings my blood close to the surface and then I do not have to prick as deep and it does not bruise.

If it bruises, it is likely that you are pricking too deep or that your hands are not warm enough.
I try to warm my fingers around a cup of tea (coffee probably works just as well provided it is not iced) which brings my blood close to the surface and then I do not have to prick as deep and it does not bruise.
I think it might be going to deep will try warming my hand with a cup thank you.

I must admit when Josie was first diagnosed we were definitely finger pricking far too much. 15/20 times a day at one point! But as a result she now couldn’t care less on the odd occasion that we do need to double check the CGM.
But I’m terrible with it. I spend all day pulling and terminating big industrial cables, my hands are like lead, but if i try to see what it’s like to use the finger pricker I just cannot bring myself to push that button!!!
You lot are all inspirational.

I find it very difficult to do any at all.I just don’t like the pain.I do try at lease once a day when I wake up.Sometimes when I been in hospital they do it four times a day.i close to tears.the one hospital are a lot Harsher.

I find it very difficult to do any at all.I just don’t like the pain.I do try at lease once a day when I wake up.Sometimes when I been in hospital they do it four times a day.i close to tears.the one hospital are a lot Harsher.
Get the hospital to use the finger pricker which you use, perhaps the minimally-painful FastClix suggested above...

You aren’t alone @taenciaga

Many people have a few wobbles when it comes to fingerpricking.

I’m another who has found the Accu-Chek finger prickers to be my preferred go-to, and as close to painless as I need.

There is a blog post here that some have found helpful:
Painless Pricks, by Alan S

But also it feels like at least some of this is not related to the sensation itself (which you describes as painless), but more the idea of what you are doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back