FDA calculates costs of lost enjoyment if e-cigarette rules prevent smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As U.S. health regulators consider what rules to impose on electronic cigarettes, in their tally of costs and benefits they have placed a value on the lost pleasure consumers may suffer if they used the products less or not at all.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says in a little-noticed document released alongside its proposals for regulations in April that the projected benefits of the new rules, which also apply to cigars, hookahs and other vapor products, should be cut by 70 percent to account for the deprivation consumers would suffer.

That means if the agency puts a value of $100,000 on the longer and improved life that might be achieved by deterring someone from smoking, then it would cut that benefit assessment to $30,000 because of the pleasure they lost.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/02/us-fda-tobacco-insight-idUSKBN0ED0A620140602

What about the enjoyment lost by non-smokers due to being in the presence of a smoker wafting toxic fumes around? 🙄

As an ex-smoker I have come to realise that you don't 'enjoy' smoking, you are just satisfying a drug craving (and a very powerful drug at that). 🙄 Overcome the addiction and you've lost nothing from your life, only gained 🙂

As an ex-smoker I have come to realise that you don't 'enjoy' smoking, you are just satisfying a drug craving (and a very powerful drug at that). 🙄 Overcome the addiction and you've lost nothing from your life, only gained 🙂

I don't agree, some people are addicted to nicotine but I found that I was addicted to the habit, patches and gum etc made no difference to my smoking and even now after 10years of non-smoking I occasionally fancy a puff, especially when long distance driving. As far as I am aware Cigars and Hookah pipes deliver nicotine and nasty (but pleasurable smells) into the atmosphere, whereas e-cigs deliver water vapour into the atmosphere. Personally whenever I see someone smoking an e-cig they look a bit pretentious (a bit 1920s with cigarette holders). Stick to candy cigarettes, which hurt no-one (how many carbs?)🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back