Fbt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I went for my FBT blood test this morning so obviously didn't eat anything. I tested when I got up and it was 5.2 then later just before I left the house it was 6.7 even though I'd not eaten anything. Anyone know why this should be? :confused:

If it is the DP how can they get a proper reading from the blood test.

The reading will be a valid reading and as its over 6 indicates diabetes (useful heh) - the tricky question is why if you have been diagnosed as diabetic you are having a fasting test rather than a HbA1c - and I have no idea - sorry about that.

Have a word with your Dr about the values you had - and ask for the HbA1c which will tell him/her what your control has been like. From what you say it sounds as if your control is fairly good over night till the liver start release glucose.

It is an HbA1c test it's fasting because they check cholesterol at the same time I thought everyone had a FBT for their review.:confused:

It is an HbA1c test it's fasting because they check cholesterol at the same time I thought everyone had a FBT for their review.:confused:

It won't affect your HbA1c or your cholesterol readings if you experience slight rise by not eating after you are up and about. Not all doctors do fasting tests for cholesterol these days. It was thought necessary in order to spearate the HDL ('good') and LDL ('bad') levels, but there has been recent evidence that this isn't true.

Hope all goes well! 🙂

A HbA1c isn't a fasting test though. It gives you a reading of how your control has been over the last 8 to 12 weeks.

This is my Noddy explanation as told to me by my brother - though it may be slightly more complex.

Your red blood cells are being constantly replenished and live between 8 to 12 weeks. During their life they form a permanent bond with glucose in the blood. The labs doing various calculations can use this information to work out what your control has been like.

I have never had a Fasting Blood Glucose test. In fact there is a notice in the clinic that I attend that says it is unnecessary to fast before clinic.

Well I was definitely told to fast for 12 hours before the test, the nurse even checked that I'd not had any breakfast. I see nurse next week for my review and to discuss the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back