Fbg numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckT2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I was hoping if someone can tell me if what you ate the day before or early evening have an influence on your fasting numbers? I have had this discussion with other diabetics and it seems like everybody has a different opinion. Also,if your fasting number is high does eating breakfast necessarily lower it?

Last edited:
Depends what actually caused your FBG test to be higher than you want it to be!

Being human means that your BG will increase every morning just before you wake. Primeval instict which we still retain, happens because the body is designed to do it automatically, to endure the body had enough energy to go forth and either hunt or gather food - whereas these days all we have to do is walk into the kitchen to access food. Eating something (almost anything so a bit of cheese or any other protein rather than carb is preferable) will arrest the increase - but not reduce it. Other people like eg Mike (@everydayupsanddowns ) and me, have BG which does not noticeably increase before we get out of bed but starts as soon as we actually get up. Eating summat still stops it!

Thank-you for the reply. This is still my question though. What actually caused my fbg test to be higher than what I want it to be? I'm confused. If I ate to many carbs the day before like more than I usually consume will it make my fbg test higher or is there something else going on?

My bg also does increase as soon as I get up and start moving around but not that much before. I never consume carbs in the morning or else my bg will rise and keep going. I have to bolus for that or else it will keep rising. I have tried eating a small amount of cheese or a boiled egg and it does arrest the increase as you say but it starts to rise again shortly therafter and I have to take a few units of insulin to bring it into range. Eating something appears to stop it but only for a short time. It seems that no matter what only insulin reduces it. Thanks again!

I guess the answer to your question is “it depends”
It depends
- when you ate?
- what were your blood sugars when you went to bed?
- what did you eat?

For example, if you ate a low carb meal at 6pm and went to bed at 11pm with a blood sugar level of 5mmol/l, a fbg of 8mmol/l is most likely to be due to dawn phenomenon.
However, if you are a pizza (high carb, high fat) at 11pm with a blood sugar level of 8mmol/l and went to bed 30 minutes later, your levels may rise during the night and your higher fbg maybe due to your food.

Thank-you @helli for your response. I think I understand it better now. Will also probably tweek my basal some to have lower fbg numbers and watch what I eat in the evening. Thanks again. 🙂

I think you ought to do a basal test cos to me, sounds as if that is lacking. Are they 200% certain you are really Type 2?

Yes,that is what I'm going to do with my basal.
My autoantibody tests were negative but there was an irregularity with the gad panel. Health care team suspects I'm type 1.5 (Lada) in honeymoon phase. A c-peptide test showed about 40% insulin output.

Hope you get to the bottom of this @CanuckT2

As your home-grown insulin production seems to be flagging it could well be that you aren’t taking quite enough basal insulin to keep you on the level. However, as you have surmised there can be other factors in play, including the digestion of your last meal, and automatic hormone responses to add to the fun.

Getting into a decent rhythm to try to establish which readings are part of a pattern, and which are one-offs can be helpful. Aiming to eat your evening meal around 6pm will mean that the vast majority of the meal insulin’s action will have finished by the time you go to bed, and most meals will have quietened down by that stage too.

So taking a bedtime reading and comparing with your BG on waking should have fewer confounding factors.

It can also be worth setting an alarm for 2-3am and checking then (this is the time that cortisol and BG levels are likely to be lowest).

Overnight can be a bit fiddly to get right, especially as it can be almost 1/3 of the day with little or no information - unless you have access to CGM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back