Favourite time of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedford 1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Have to confess Autumn and Winter are my favourite time of the year. Only problem is keeping my diet under control.
Any one have any good warming winter recipes to recommend?

Soup! Mostly chicken and leek 🙂
I love autumn and winter too…my favourite seasons.

Covent Garden Soup Co, A soup for everyday. 365 soups/casseroles, seasonally based.
Just revisited mine, picked up in a charity shop.

I have just been recommended a halloumi and cauliflower curry which is supposed to be delicious and looks to be really easy to cook and amazingly, for once, I have all the ingredients in my kitchen. Will let you know how it goes when I have tried it in a day or two.
Another favourite is an autumn veggie pork casserole with leeks and carrot and swede and maybe a small parsnip and sweet potato or butternut squash with a can of cider and an apple and I just dice pork shoulder steaks and use that. After browning the meat in a frying pan, it all goes in the slow cooker. If the juice is a bit runny at the end I thicken it by adding some psyllium husk or oat bran. You can also add a couple of spoons of wholegrain mustard if you like that and/or some herbs. I rarely follow recipes, I just throw in things that I have, that I like and think will work well together.

Ooh yes, the slow cooker has already come out in our household! I just vary the meat and stick whatever veggies we have in...carrots, onions or leeks, peas, green beans and add chillis, curry or whatever else I fancy that evening. I sometime put a few taters in for my partner if I'm feeling kind!
If I'm honest I usually coat the meat in a little flour and brown it off first. I know I shouldn't use flour but it's only a small dusting and it makes the sauce thicker. Though after reading @rebrascora's post I might get hold of some psyllium husk and try that instead. Nothing like a bowl of some casserole or other on an autumn or winter's night. Love it! 🙂 My fave time of the year as well.

Ooh yes, the slow cooker has already come out in our household! I just vary the meat and stick whatever veggies we have in...carrots, onions or leeks, peas, green beans and add chillis, curry or whatever else I fancy that evening. I sometime put a few taters in for my partner if I'm feeling kind!
If I'm honest I usually coat the meat in a little flour and brown it off first. I know I shouldn't use flour but it's only a small dusting and it makes the sauce thicker. Though after reading @rebrascora's post I might get hold of some psyllium husk and try that instead. Nothing like a bowl of some casserole or other on an autumn or winter's night. Love it! 🙂 My fave time of the year as well.
I always find you don't need as much liquid added to the slow cooker, things like carrots can make it taste quite sweet.

Snap! I was out for a walk with my husband yesterday and actually said I wish it could always be autumn. I feel revitalised at this time of year for some reason. And yes, soup, soup, soup!

Thanks for all the tips and ideas. Will try very hard to resist the selection boxes over Christmas. (Though the flesh is weak)!

I use arrowroot or corn flour.
I can't comment on the carbs, but I do seem to use a lot less than white flour.
(I use gravy granules as well, but again, no idea on the carbs)

Slow cooker season! Yum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back