Faulty Libre Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merryterry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have a Libre system to measure my BG levels (on the NHS). Since starting 5 months ago I have used 10 sensors of which 2 have been faulty and have to be replaced. The latest tells me to fit a new sensor which I hav'nt got which means back to the old finger pricking till a replacement arrives in the post God only knows when in the post. I think Abbot have not got a good Quality Control system. Is anyone else having this problem?

Replacements by Abbott usally arrive withina couple of days.
Re the other question I suggest you do a forum search.

Yes, unfortunately you are not alone in having problems with Libre but Abbott are very good about replacement. Whilst some people have had issues with faulty sensors, the LibreLink app has also been causing a lot of problems for some people since the last update.
I am still using the original Libre 1 and have had very few problems with it indeed but will be changing over to Libre 2 in 13 days time and I am a bit apprehensive about that because of other people's experiences, but you also have to remember that many people don't have problems with it at all so whilst it may seem like a lot of reports of faults, it may be that Libre simply does not get along with some people's body chemistry for whatever reason. If the problems continue, then you could ask to try the Dexcom One.... assuming you have an appropriate phone. Dexcom have a limited number of phones which are compatible with their system, so that would be something to research in advance.

Hope your replacement comes through soon. Unfortunately the post is not as reliable as it was, so it will be in the lap of the Gods as to when it turns up but Abbott are pretty prompt about dispatching them.

.... and you could never have another one fail for the next 5 months, or year. Have to say I've not had many fail since I changed from L1 to L2.

.... and you could never have another one fail for the next 5 months, or year. Have to say I've not had many fail since I changed from L1 to L2.
Me neither. They seem about the same as Libre 1. Maybe I'm seeing the "scan again in 10 minutes" messages more, but that seems as likely to be software changes as anything.

Now I've started using Juggluco (which updates every minute from the Bluetooth signal that's used for alarms) I do see that sometimes there seems to be half an hour or more when it's not showing any update. I'm not sure what that's about, but I think I wouldn't want to rely on getting an alarm promptly.

I’m on Libre 2 and had 3 out of 15 read lower or continually give “scan again in 10 minutes” error on Librelink, plus 1 out of 15 fail to stick to my arm when applied. I still feel for me that the Libre 2 works well and so far accepting the odd issue, some of which are down to bad luck in where the filament lands in my arm, or bends slightly on insertion causing reading issues.

Abbot have always been really good at sending replacements to me.

Accuracy on the sensors for me has been good and a sensor will typically be within 0.5 mmol/l of a finger stick test (when measured 15 minutes after finger stick test and BG levels stable).

I know a lot of people are having problems with alarms not working, particularly on Android phones. Luckily I have been without any issues using an iPhone.

@Merryterry sorry to read of your Libre problems.
I hope Abbott are able to get you a replacement soon.

I am, however, concerned that you have no spares. I know some GPs are rather miserly with their Libre prescriptions but the advice is to place a prescription request for Libre when you have one remaining in your cupboard. This same is true for insulin. There are a number of reasons for this: not only that the sensor may fail but also because their may be a delay in getting new ones.
If your GP pushes back saying that you are ordering Libre too soon, I would tell them why you need at least one in reserve. Often, they don't think about this.

I hope finger pricking is not too bad. It has happened to me recently and my feeling were mixed - I hated not knowing if my levels were going up or down but I also felt less obsessed by my numbers which wasn't a bad thing. A CGM holiday is often a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back