Faulty insulin pen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manu

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have noticed that the insulin pen (Apidra solostar) I use in work seems to leak rather than eject a continuous flow of insulin, a bit like small bubbles. I've noticed that when I check there's no air trapped in the needle.

At first I thought it was a consequence of the Frio wallet that I use to carry it with me, but I left it in the drawer yesterday, and the same thing happened today. Also, it seems not to eject enough insulin, which would explain the high readings I am getting at times (which I was reducing to high levels of stress).
When I am home I use another pen from the same box, which seems to work fine.

Has anyone had this happen before?
Thanks!

Haven't used one of those pens - I use a novopen and an autopen 24. The autopen can be a bit temperamental at times. If it were me I'd throw the pen away if it's not working properly, or maybe contact the manufacturers.

Yeah I would do the same. I was at work once and my novopen jammed stuck (luckily I worked in the hospital) I popped upstairs and they gave me a new one. The nurse was REALLY suprised, these pens are supposed be virtually faultless.....anyway, she took it and sent it off to novopen for them to research!

Anyhow, I bet if you phone the number (google them online) you can arrange a free exchange. Its really not good when you think you have faulty equip.

I've read several horror stories about leaky/faulty Solostar pens. Whenever it's reported to Sanofi/Aventis they seem blame the user though.

Thanks guys, I think I'll choke the pen away. I don't know about phoning Sanofi Aventis, as I've heard some stories too and I know they're not very helpful.

I've just realised that this pen might be from a new box so tonight I'll try a new one to see if all pens in that box are faulty! In that case, they probably would hear from me, even if they don't replace it! 😉

Manu

Just checking that you aren't leaving the needles on because that can make the pens leak sometimes. I would start a new pen and take any faulty ones back to the pharmacy, or send to the company.

Hi Nikki, I tend to change the needle every time, I prefer it since I get enough of them on prescription, plus these pens tend to get air bubbles trapped in quite easily.

I mainly thought it was the frio wallet that was affecting their usage... since my pen is a bit wet when I get it out of it (I guess that's normal though?)

manu

I've just checked, that pen is not from the new box, and the one I'm currently using at home is from the same batch and works fine. Maybe it was just one faulty pen!

Hi Nikki, I tend to change the needle every time, I prefer it since I get enough of them on prescription, plus these pens tend to get air bubbles trapped in quite easily.

I mainly thought it was the frio wallet that was affecting their usage... since my pen is a bit wet when I get it out of it (I guess that's normal though?)

manu

Hi Manu

Since having a new nurse I only used to change my needles every now n then.. thats was until she told me that the needles have a plastic coating on them and once you have used it the coatin is gone, then the needle has got like very very tiny shards stickin out from the main needle.. So hence I go through a box of needles every 3weeks or so...

but i still find it painful every now n then.... sorry to go off the main subject of this dicussion lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back