Fat.

Rosie16

Good Afternoon Everyone.
Please can any one tell me is it true if your are Diabetic you should eat more fat?

Good Afternoon Everyone.
Please can any one tell me is it true if your are Diabetic you should eat more fat?
I don't think this can be prescriptive as it all depends as usual on what dietary regime people are following and their own personal situation.
If people reduce carbs then they have to get energy from somewhere and that can be healthy fats and protein. What is said is there is no need to have low fat unless needed for other medical reasons.

Good Afternoon Everyone.
As has been said the only nutrients other than carbohydrates are protein and fat, so if you cut back on carbs you only have fat & protein to make up the difference. Bear in mind, though, that of the two kinds of fat, saturated is considered the 'bad' fat and unsaturated the 'good' fat, so the focus should be on less of the former and more of the latter. I average 150g of fat per day, but 80% of that is unsaturated.

Good Afternoon Everyone.

No. No generalisation like that can be made because people who have diabetes encompass a huge range of people. These people might be slim, overweight, have other medical conditions, be young, be older, be pregnant, be at high risk of developing certain medical conditions, etc.

The best thing to do is to eat the diet that’s right for you as an individual @Rosie16

I have a friend who has over weight has an heart condition kidney problems blind in one eye she told me her diabetic nurse told her to eat high fat.I'm really confused about this i have been told not to eat that?

I have a friend who has over weight has an heart condition kidney problems blind in one eye she told me her diabetic nurse told her to eat high fat.I'm really confused about this i have been told not to eat that?
Did her DN explain why?

What she may have said was don't have LOW fat rather than high fat. It really is when people opt for a keto regime which is very very low carb that they will tend to have high fat and others who follow a low carb as in no more than 130g per day will have normal fat and avoid low fat products.
Unless you hear or read something yourself I would pay much attention to second hand information as somebody may have got the wrong end of the stick. But you could certainly ask her why.

Back