Fasting target for T2s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicsetter

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I know it's maybe been discussed previously but what Pre-meal targets should T2s aim for. The problem is that the closer I get to <5.5 the more often I dip to <5 which causes problems for driving. Pre-lunch today I was 5.7 and tonight pre-dinner 4.9 (4.4 on my pura meter). 1hr post meal readings are generally <8 so I don't think my GP would consider a Bolus insulin. Last night I ended up having bread and PB before bed (pre bed reading of 5.9) and woke up with 6.9 (ok so I should have just had 1 slice and not 2).
I know my GP will be thrilled as very few of her patients get such good readings, but I am very hard on myself and don't want to feed the insulin.

I have been told to aim for 7.0.

Some mornings i am 6.9 and other are 9.0.... a big swing!

my mealtimes are still 10-13 s............. I would love to be even close to a hypo so that I know it really exists lol

The fasting glucose level should be in the range 4 to 7.

2hrs post meal it should be between 7 and 9 and generally you should try and not go below 4 (hypoglycemia) nor exceed 10 (hyperglycemia).

Andy

The fasting glucose level should be in the range 4 to 7.

2hrs post meal it should be between 7 and 9 and generally you should try and not go below 4 (hypoglycemia) nor exceed 10 (hyperglycemia).

Andy

Thought you didn't believe in 2hr post meal reading!
If you go by that what level is it safe to go to sleep? My GP says 8. If you are between 7 and 9 2 hrs post meal and eat at 7pm then by 10pm you should be less than 7 and perhaps too low to go to sleep (if on insulin that is). I am currently contemplating bed and have a reading of 5.9, which I would normally regard as too low (last hypo I had was at 3am after going to bed with a BG of 5.1), so I shall have something to eat first.

I think that you have me confused with someone else. :confused:🙂

I've never said anything of the sort.

Andy 🙂

p.s. I can't comment on your question re: safe levels to go to sleep on because I don't have any experience of insulin. I'll leave that to others.

I think that you have me confused with someone else. :confused:🙂

I've never said anything of the sort.

Andy 🙂

Your right that was VBH, I think, must be old age or maybe my meter is reading high.

No worries! Did worry me briefly that I'd had a 'senior moment' myself :D

Andy

If you go by that what level is it safe to go to sleep? My GP says 8. If you are between 7 and 9 2 hrs post meal and eat at 7pm then by 10pm you should be less than 7 and perhaps too low to go to sleep (if on insulin that is). I am currently contemplating bed and have a reading of 5.9, which I would normally regard as too low (last hypo I had was at 3am after going to bed with a BG of 5.1), so I shall have something to eat first.

Might be different for you Vic, but I have found that once I got my lantus cracked I can go to bed at 5-7 quite happily and wake at around the same figure e.g. I was 6.0 last night before bed and woke at 5.4. You only need to be higher if you think there's a danger of hypo.

I've only had 3 hypos, all at 3am, woke me up so thats good. But no logic to the pre bed reading. Yes my waking reading is pretty much the same as my bedtime one. Think I shall reduce my morning levemir and see if that helps things.
One of my aims has been to get down to 60 units morning and evening (so thats only 2 injections a day, injecting 65 is just a pain, inject 60 units, reset and inject 5 more (even worse if you haven't got 5 left in the pen, that means a new injection site.)
My other aim has been to get the Hba1C down, got my latest reading at 6.3 so not bad but could be better I feel, maybe it will be now I've stopped the Crestor and things have settled down a lot..

Morning, don't know what that proved. Went to bed with a 5.9, ate 2 slices white toast and PB. Woken up at 3:30 by some yobs in the street, tested was 8.0. This morning at 7:30 was 6.3. Reduced this mornings injection, see what that does to today.

Morning.. I tested befoe bed was 7.9 which is good for me normaly in Double figures... My Nurse said to me that if it below 8.8 I should have some thing to eat, Well I thought about it last nite and decided not to have any thing.. Woke up at 05.45 bearing in mind I didnt go to bed till 2am... woke up at 05.45 with heartburn which made me sick.. anyway checked my BS and it was 8.1 so I feel I was right not to have anything to eat...

My sugar levels are in high double figures normaly and no doubt they will rise as normal today I have just had 14 units of noverapid after me cornflakes.. going out to bootsale in a bit will prob have a cuppa whilst I'm there and I will check BS when I get back... Anyone wanna start a wager on how high they might be lol.....

Morning, don't know what that proved. Went to bed with a 5.9, ate 2 slices white toast and PB. Woken up at 3:30 by some yobs in the street, tested was 8.0. This morning at 7:30 was 6.3. Reduced this mornings injection, see what that does to today.

It does suggest that the toast was necessary to 'mop up. some of the levemir overnight Vic, I hope things go OK with the reduction. I was 6.2 before bed, and woke to 5.7 this morning.

Jules, I'll go for 10.7 🙂 But I hope it's lower!

Your right that was VBH, I think, must be old age or maybe my meter is reading high.

oooh a misunderstanding.

The missing bit there is ""for those not on insulin". The purpose of 1h testing for non-injectors is learning about the effects of the meal, to make better decisions in future. The 1h gives a far more meaningful result than 2h. For basal/bolus or mixed insulin users its a whole different kettle of fish because the purpose of testing is different 😉

Plus Andy was quoting official targets. The problem with official targets is that they assume that people hitting those targets will progress from diet controlled T2 to pills controlled T2 to insulin within 5 years.

Those who do better do not progress at that rate. Theres a myth that T2 is progressive. Some of it is down to genetics and how early it gets caught and diagnosed, but to some extent, T2 is as progressive as you allow it to be.

One of my myths series:
http://diabetesforum.org.uk/compone...essive-and-pills-or-insulin-mean-failure.html
(ok two related myths in one blog post)

The problem is that they expect us to fail and give us targets which are easier to hit rather than non-diabetic numbers, which many of us can achieve. The better your control, the slower any progression takes place (in most cases) and the rate of complications is FAR less.

I know people who have been told they are expected to be on insulin in 5 years. Many years on, they are pretty much where they started.

So just bear in mind when looking at official targets that they expect you to progress to insulin, get neuropathy, nephropathy, retinopathy and have a heart attack. Thats what the statistics say will happen and although the targets are designed to make a small improvement, we can do better.

Now then, back to the original question. For T2s not on insulin, the fasting target should be 4.5 to 5.5, IMHO. 3.5 feels horrendous (from experience) and 6 gives you very few options for breakfast if you are going to stay below 8 at all times. The word "target" is important though. Its not an absolute and you will miss at least part of the time. Just learn something every time you do.

For those T2s on basal only, its a little more complicated and the docs tend to be convinced that you are going to hypo constantly if you attempt any kind of control better than "lousy". Mind you, if you follow their advice rather than the advice of experienced insulin users, they're probably right. So they tend to recommend high BG before bed to avoid hypos.

But if you can get your basal right then you should be able to get reasonable fasting BGs as well, though the targets will probably be a little higher than a non-injecting T2. I know part of the DAFNE literature includes the procedure to test basal (involving skipping meals) so perhaps someone has a decent link. I will try an get one of DF's T1s to write something for future posts. Still working on getting a lot of good articles up and got some good experienced writers, both T1 and T2 so will try and cover all bases.

Finally Vic, if you are dropping too low during the day away from meals then I think your basal is wrong., so you are quite right to look at modifying the morning dose.

Well what can I say it was 12.7 before I went out just got back tested again 5.5 which is far to low for me.... so cuppa n cake in order mmmm

Unfortunately Jules your BG is going to be up and down like a yoyo on fixed doses of insulin. If you can get a DAFNE or other carb-counting course and start to match your insulin to your carbs, then you will find control a lot easier.

I've heard of the dafne course my nurse mentioned it to me.. what goes on at these courses?...

i always make sure im above 7 before i go to bed one night i never looked and got up feeling unwell and a reading of 1 yes 1 ,no wonder i felt ill ,

I've heard of the dafne course my nurse mentioned it to me.. what goes on at these courses?...

Hi Jules, I haven't done DAFNE myself, but practically everyone I know who has raves about it! Part of it is learning insulin to carb ratios and carb counting so you know how to adjust your insulin to suit your food and levels. But there is so much more to it, with education on all aspects of diabetes management. Plus you get to meet a lot of fellow diabetics which can be just as valuable as the course! 🙂

Here is the official website:

http://www.dafne.uk.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back